Sign in to follow this  

Honda CRF250X vs YZ250WR HELP

Hi guys,

My son and I have been on KTM's for the last 4 years, and they have held up great. My son wants to try a 250F for the 4 stroke "A" class this year. Last year he was the O/A "B" champion in our district. We ride enduro's and HS.

I'm convinced to let him off the orange bikes, but now I have a REAL dilemma. Which bike does he get, Honda 250X or the Yamaha 250WR. We have been looking at both bikes and to be honest the only thing that is making me hesitant on the Honda is the engine reliability concerns. We have owned KTM four strokes in the past, so 4 stroke maintenance isn't a big concern.

We ride tight eastern woods and some GNCC's. So the bike will primarily be used for competition. The quality and finish of the Honda is very impressive. It sounds as if the engine would be a little better for our tight woods. But then there are those darned concerns about valves and top end replacement every 30 hours. Whereas the Yamaha seems to be proven bullet proof.

I would appreciate any recommendations or info from Honda X owners that would help with the decision.

Thanks in advance,

Wayne

IMHO, I think he would find either the WR or CRFX a bit heavy and low on power

if he's used to a 2 stroke. I race GNCC and other hare scramble series and loved my

KTMs. I rode a stock X and felt it was a little heavy and needed to be uncorked.

I got a 2005 CRF250R just to see if I would like it. I was buying the same bike each

year and wanted a change thinking it may change my riding style, make me do

a few things differently, etc. I must say I love my CRF250R. It is lighter than my

KTMs and the extra snappy torque makes up for the fewer ponies.

Now the valve issue. I am putting SS valves and new springs in my bike in the

hope that I won't have to bother w/ this every 60 to 80 hours. Bottom line is, I will

fix this bike if and when it breaks again, I love it that much...

but look what is said here DOUG

"Now the valve issue. I am putting SS valves and new springs in my bike in the

hope that I won't have to bother w/ this every 60 to 80 hours. Bottom line is, I will

fix this bike if and when it breaks again, I love it that much...

We have been looking at both bikes and to be honest the only thing that is making me hesitant on the Honda is the engine reliability concerns....... But then there are those darned concerns about valves and top end replacement every 30 hours.

First, I'm predisposed to Honda because of long-standing family prejudice, but I have great respect for Yamahas, and a Yami would definitely be my second choice (250F with aluminum frame :) ). I suspect that any rider can fulfill their potential on either bike.

However, bulletproof is definitely an overstatement for the YZF. After all, Kibblewhite does make SS replacement valves for '03 YZF's as well as CRF's; they wouldn't make them if there were no demand. Any of the bikes will need periodic valve replacement, it just appears that the Yamaha valves may go longer before the need arises (I say appears because it's really tough to tell based on web posts). This would make sense in that each of the 5 valves are lighter than the 4 Honda valves and probably undergo less mechanical stress. IMHO, At least some (not all) of the X valve problems are caused by people disconnecting the pink wire (raising the rev limiter from 12,300 rpm to 13,500 rpm) with the stock X cam leading to valve float. Although I can't find the article, I believe that Eric Gorr said that Yamahas under race useage can go as much as twice as long between major valve maintenance/maintenance.

However, recently I read another article (don't recall which one) indicating that Yamaha replacement parts are significantly more expensive than Honda replacement parts, by nearly a factor of 2. Intake valves at ServiceHonda are $43.50 each and springs are $3.34 each for $93.68 total. At the Yamaha of Troy site, intake valves are listed as $79.38 each and springs are $4.62 each for a total of $252.00. From the same sites, a replacement Honda head is $224 and a replacement Yamahea head is $471. According to the Yamaha of Troy print ad on page 154 of the March '05 MXA, Yamaha radiators are well over $220 each where Honda radiators are around $110 each. So I'm not sure you can make a call based on ongoing maintenance costs.

The bottom line is that the Ti valves in either bike wear over time and will fail catastrophically if you don't regularly measure valve clearances and replace them when the clearances consistently begin to tighten over time.

I'd use the quality of your local Honda and Yamaha dealers to make the choice. If you really want the Yamaha, you may want to hold out for the aluminum frame 250F that is rumored for '06. Should be a sweet bike.

good post in regaurds to parts pricing skipn8r...Wayne how tall is your son and what does he weigh?? I've ridden an 04' X and an 03'WR and IMO the X is in a whole 'nother league handling wise, low end power wise, and keeping the weight low to avoid the top heavy feel the blue bikes have.