Sign in to follow this  

XR100 Hesitation

I am working on a '96 xr100 for a friend. The bike supposedly only ever had five tanks of gas run though it and from the appearance this is believable. I was told that the previous owner cleaned the carb before the recent sale. The bike would hardly run, so I disassembled and cleaned the carb in commercal soaking cleaner. I also replaced a missing o-ring on the mixture screw. Now the bike has a stumble off idle with a quick twist on the throttle, but it idles perfectly and the stumble is almost undetectable during riding. I have tried different positions on the needle (richer) with the factory settting being best. Also, the mixture screw seems best at facory setting 1 3/4 turns out. The stumble does seem better with a slight amount of choke ( less than half) leading me to believe it is a lean condition. Anyone have any ideas? Could the pilot jet have a problem (I can see through it)?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I know this may sound bad, but this is normal for a 4 stroke motor. They do not take "quick snaps of the throttle" very well.

You may want to make sure that the air filter is clean. Check the plug to see what color it is burning. This the easiest way to tell if you a running lean, plug will be white to almost clean. Should be a brown color for the correct mixture. Black and wet mean too rich.

Hope this helps.

XR's use roll on power, which means you can't wick the throttle. There is not enough fuel to compensate for the sudden increase in airflow. That's why modern bikes use pumper carbs.

Thank you for the replies. After riding the bike tonight it seems fine. Maybe I'm just too picky at times.