Sign in to follow this  

Hard starting?

Hey guys,

I do not own a KTM yet but want a 450sx really badly :):) . I have job set up this summer so that i can get one :p . But after reading the reviews on the bike they said it was a great bike but that it was hard to start :D . Is this true,i own a 1999 YZ400F and it was hard to start when i first got,but after i learnt the trick to it I am fine now. Is it the same way with the 450 :D ?

I love Ktm's and look forward to owning one....but I am a big guy at 218pounds and 6foot8. Does the 525 have a higher seating position?

What made this engine so popular is the automatic decompresor. This cuts the compresion in half at kicking speed but does not effect anything once running. Thus they start real easy. They are a bit finicky about valve adjustments but thats real easy once you get into it

Your going to want a taller seat available thru the aftermarket, probubly an inch or two taller bar, don't get wrapped up in that "Iam tall so I need really tall bars" stuff, tall bars turn competent riders into squids and good riders are not riding around bolt upright. Try getting into the riding position, then check the angle on your forearm, have a buddy take a side photo at bar height. Your forearm shold slope down to the grip with 2 to 3 inches slope in your forearm. I am 6' and I will bet that most of the differenece between us is how far forward your knees are

Oh yes, they are very easy to start. I got a 525 SX. My left leg is the strong, i sit down on it and just let the right leg "fall" on the kicker...it runs. Sure, i bring it to TDC and if it is the first to go i pull the choke. :)