Sign in to follow this  

crank problems?

I'm sure plenty of YZF owners will agree with me when i say that it doesnt matter what year it is, parts are going to break. My 01 had crank problems, causing alot of $$ in damage, but changing oil often..no need to be anal about it, but just often, let the bike warm up at an idle until you can feel some heat in the radiators, and pretty much ride it like you stole it will lengthen the life of the high RPM beast.....13,500 RPM's is as good as any reason to change oil regularly in my book.

no problems with the crank......yet, with 125 hrs of tough mx'ing.

4th gear, well, that's another story.

I heard many stories of broken rods on 03s, which pretty much destroys the whole motor. I, like oldnbold also had a gear break and i replaced the entire crank assembly as a precaution. I don't recall it being that expensive.

The only 250F rod failure tales I have heard had to do with either using an extreme big bore kit (piston too heavy), or mechanical over rev, as when you downshift to too low a gear at too high a speed. The rev limiter cannot prevent that.

My son rides the crap out out of mine, and so far I have had slightly less trouble with my sundial that with the little YZF, but not much. :)