Sign in to follow this  

Do you ride MX tracks alone?

Most of my riding buddies just want to ride trails, but, I want to ride more MX. Don't get me wrong, I like the woods too. I just can't get anybody to go to the track with me. I don't know if it's the cost($20) or the fear of getting injured, but, they all say they would rather go trail riding instead.

So, do you think I should just go alone? There are usually other riders at the track also, but, I'm a little reluctant to go alone in case I get hurt. The track I go to is about 30-45 minutes from my house and if I get badly hurt, I don't know how anybody would know who to call or what would happen to my bike and other stuff.

What do you guys think?

Makzilla

When i go to the track i would always tell my paretns and tell them what time i left at and if they have a cell you should take that. And call before you are coming home. Make sure they know where the track is. And usually there is people there most of the time. Ive ridden by myself and crashed pretty hard. Woke up 1 hour later and thought i just crashed. Mind u i had been riding for about 2 hours before. And my mom is like why were u gone so long. So i check the clock and i had no idea that i got knocked out. I thought i just hit my hrad hard. Im lucky i didnt do any serious damage. I had to be woken up every hour that night. Does anyone know why that is. Sorry to get off topic.

make a plan similar to a fire drill man :)

id never actually ride an mx track truely alone, without anyone else..i did a lap or 2 before my buddies got there and its spooky, especially when the mx track is basically in the woods!

tracks (established tracks) usually will have staff members and possibly even a few fisrtresponders staning by or at least within close proximity. not to mention other trafic as well.. i wouldnt worry about it too much. you can also try to make new friends while your there. :)

I ride motocross alone about half of the time. The more you ride there the more people will know who you are. Tracks you pay $20 to ride have enough people around where if you're incapacitated you will get the help you need from the staff and other riders to get you the help you need. I have address labels on my helmet with contact numbers in case of an emergency. If you’re hurt bad, the bike's not an issue. I'm confident the staff at the tracks I ride will take care of it if necessary. I feel lucky to only pay $8 to $13 (all day) here. :)

I'll ride tracks alone anyday but never woods. At the tracks there is always someone else riding, even on a weekday when i take off early. Don't worry somebody will find you eventually if you crash. Just take it easy out there if it bothers you and soon enough you'll meet several others who come solo as well.

Well, I'm 36 and have gone alone a couple of times. Its odd enough to be a woman rider but even more weird to see one show up a track with her kids who don't even ride. :p

There are a lot of friendly people and besides when you ride

MX you're not really riding with anyone anyway-unless you're racing your friends. You can ride at your own pace, get on and off when you want and not have to stop and wait for anyone or have anyone stop and wait for you. And plenty of people are willing to strike up conversations, usually starting with how do you like your bike and how long have you been riding type stuff. You'll find plenty of riding acquintances once you stick your neck out and start going. :):)

I've ridden alone at the track many times before. I've gotten hurt really badly riding alone. I only go to the tracks where I know the owner & figure I know people who will be there. I usually try to go to the one where there is a full time paramedic. When I did get hurt strangers helped me load my bike and offered to help me out. :)

There was a sad story about a local guy who went to the track alone, over jumped something and was killed. When people went through his car to try to figure out what to do they found written directions on who to contact and what to do if he were injured.

I'm 37 and I have almost always ridden tracks alone since I was about 17. Every track I ride has at least one person on staff who is very familiar with the ambulance drill. There are plenty of people with cel phones in the pits, too. I feel safer riding alone at a track than I do trail riding with friends.

No don't worry about going alone because you get hurt, the track manager and staff is there, they have to take care of you if you break your ankle or something. The only reason I always go w/ someone is because it makes the ride better and you can race each other to get faster.

I'm 16 and I go alone. The front desk on where I go riding at has paperwork (minor release form) so in case I get hurt, my parent's phone numbers are there.

I only go alone if it's a track that I feel same on though. It's not like I'd go to hangtown for the first time by myself.

i ride mx tracks alone, no biggie. i've never actually crashed at an mx track, which is good, cuz the tracks i've been to lately (truckee, fernley, delta) are not manned by people, so i'm usually the only human there.

i ride trails alone too, idaho singletrack, rocky sierra singletrack, semi-technical rocky moab stuff, and nevada high-desert singletrack. if you are the type that tends to get badly hurt, you might not want to do this, but i am much more concerned with dangerous activities like volleyball, cooking, and walking downstairs. those are things that have injured me, but i've never been hurt dirtbiking.

-mark

i ride mx tracks alone, no biggie. i've never actually crashed at an mx track, which is good, cuz the tracks i've been to lately (truckee, fernley, delta) are not manned by people, so i'm usually the only human there.

i ride trails alone too, idaho singletrack, rocky sierra singletrack, semi-technical rocky moab stuff, and nevada high-desert singletrack. if you are the type that tends to get badly hurt, you might not want to do this, but i am much more concerned with dangerous activities like volleyball, cooking, and walking downstairs. those are things that have injured me, but i've never been hurt dirtbiking.

-mark

You ride far too slow. :)

I really don't like to ride anyplace alone anymore, have had way too many injuries to go out alone, but I am old and scared :)

I've been going to tracks by myself since I was 18 (I'm 43).

Never really gave it much thought. Good thing. Think too much about it and you won't go. :p

I guess it never bothered me, there was always other people there and I have the utmost confidence that if there ever was a problem I could have gotten someone to help me. :)

Now if there is no one there at all???? :)

I had to be woken up every hour that night. Does anyone know why that is. Sorry to get off topic.

From what I've heard, when somebody gets a concussion, allowing them to go into a deep sleep soon afterwards brings a higher risk of them going into a coma.

I don't have any problem riding at a track without friends. As long as there are other riders on the track. I don't have many friends in this area that ride MX so it's pretty much a necesity for me. I do make a plan with my wife just in case. I've also ridden at the track all alone, but it spooked me too much and I'll never do it again. It's just not worth the risk.

Thanks for the response everyone. I'm hitting the MX track this weekend, alone or not.

I like the idea of an address label on your helmet with emergency contact info. :)