Sign in to follow this  

Maxxis H/t or Kenda Carlsbad Tires???

I was looking at these tires and trying to decide which would work best for rocky Forest Service Roads and single track mountain type riding. I will also be in some intermediate stuff, but won't see much sand or mud.

Thanks in advance!

I've been very pleased with my combo which is the carlsbad up front and the IT in the rear... Got life out of both without giving up the traction. That's Arizona and SoCal desert single track and open desert riding...

Khris

I've used both and find that the IT wears longer but doesn't bite as well as the Carlsbad. I favor the Carlsbad. Hope this helps.. :)

Thanks guys. I currently have the I/T on now, but was considering the H/T or Carlsbad. I like the looks of the Carlsbad if it is alright in some medium stuff, too.

I also prefer the Kenda Carlsbad over the Maxxis IT.

The Kenda crosses over to softer stuff better than the Maxxis. I'm not sure the wear is significantly better for the Maxxis, the Kenda will round the leading edge on the first ride, but it doesn't change for a long time after that.

READ THE POST, HE'S TALKING ABOUT THE HT, NOT THE IT! :)

I don't think I'd run the Kenda, simply because it is a directional tire, it works differently depending on how you mount it. I ran a couple HTs last year, they worked well on blue groove and crossed into intermeditae suff okay too. Junk in mud or sand, but they weren't designed for that. If your trails are very hardpacked, the HT is a good choice. If the terrain is varied, try the IT.

Most of the riding I will be doing is mixed harder roads with gravel/decomposed granite top surface, mixed with intermediate woods type riding. I did not care for the IT on the roads, therefore thought either the HT or Carlsbad.

In intermediate stuff, would the the HT (not IT) or Carlsbad be better suited, assuming they are both ok on the harder stuff?

Most of the riding I will be doing is mixed harder roads with gravel/decomposed granite top surface, mixed with intermediate woods type riding. I did not care for the IT on the roads, therefore thought either the HT or Carlsbad.

In intermediate stuff, would the the HT (not IT) or Carlsbad be better suited, assuming they are both ok on the harder stuff?

Since I think the Carlsbad is better in intermediate than the Maxxis intermediate tire, by default, it must be better than the Maxxis hard terrain tire.

Clear as mud? :)