Sign in to follow this  

Anyone ever been busted by the police for riding?

I was out riding today on public or private property(not sure which one), in northern california. I was charged with vehicle trespassing, penal code

602(m). Has anyone in california been busted before? If so, what did you do? The ticket says it was a misdemeanor, does that mean it is criminally related? Unfortunetly, I am 19 and no longer a minor, and I would hate to have something like this on my record. There were no fences or signs posted by the way. Is there any way to fight this? Advice please??? They also gave me a ticket for not having a red sticker on my bike!

I havent gotton one, but very close. Last time I was riding on the streets around the neighborhood. Cop comes around the corner and I kill the engine while still moving, stop, and start fumbling with the carb. I said, oh yeah, I have a big race and I need to check my carb adjustments, it seems to be a little off. Cop said, well, how bout this, walk your bike down back to your house, and we won't say a word.

Might PM L2F, but a misdemeanor is a crime with the maximum penalty being up to one year in jail and/or a fine. Different from an infraction which just has a fine, or a felony which is prison.

I wouldn't go to court without at least consulting a lawyer, and I'd probably take one even if pleading guilty.

Good luck.

Advice? Dont' ride anywhere that you don't have express permission to ride. :):p

I believe the (m) signifies Misdemeanor.

I can't find that code (602). Check and make sure you have that correct and then try this site to look it up.

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/vc/vc.htm

Take your lumps, pay your fine and consider this a learning experience. :)

I was out riding today on public or private property(not sure which one), in northern california. I was charged with vehicle trespassing, penal code

602(m). Has anyone in california been busted before? If so, what did you do? The ticket says it was a misdemeanor, does that mean it is criminally related? Unfortunetly, I am 19 and no longer a minor, and I would hate to have something like this on my record. There were no fences or signs posted by the way. Is there any way to fight this? Advice please??? They also gave me a ticket for not having a red sticker on my bike!

Might PM L2F, but a misdemeanor is a crime with the maximum penalty being up to one year in jail and/or a fine. Different from an infraction which just has a fine, or a felony which is prison.

I wouldn't go to court without at least consulting a lawyer, and I'd probably take one even if pleading guilty.

Good luck.

Such lawyers are called Public Defenders and will explain the down side. This will most be settled without going to court. At most you'll have to stand in front of a judge and say "guilty" and he'll slap a little fine on you. He probably won't even bother to look at you. This is just procedural stuff.

Don't sweat it!

I've never been stopped, but what the rest of you need to know is that they can't stop you if you are on your land or if you have a writen note allowing you to ride on their property. That is true unless a neighbor complains and files a disturbance. So if a cop comes up to you and asks, tell ask him if someone has complained otherwise just ignore him. Oh yeah, don't get excited and start to resist whatever you do.

busted a few times, bike taken twice.

no fines just towing bills

the second time my mouth almost got me 1600$ worth of fines and arrested though:D

Such lawyers are called Public Defenders and will explain the down side. This will most be settled without going to court. At most you'll have to stand in front of a judge and say "guilty" and he'll slap a little fine on you. He probably won't even bother to look at you. This is just procedural stuff.

Don't sweat it!

Public Defenders are the ones provided for free, not good unless you have no other choice. And he will be going to court, maybe not trial - but certainly to court.

the second time my mouth almost got me 1600$ worth of fines and arrested though:D

602(m) Entering and occupying real property or structures of any kind

without the consent of the owner, the owner's agent, or the person

in lawful possession.

You should consult a lawyer as I think signs have to be posted.

I've never been stopped, but what the rest of you need to know is that they can't stop you if you are on your land or if you have a writen note allowing you to ride on their property. That is true unless a neighbor complains and files a disturbance. So if a cop comes up to you and asks, tell ask him if someone has complained otherwise just ignore him. Oh yeah, don't get excited and start to resist whatever you do.

Not a good idea to ignore a cop. I have learned cops give respect back to people who give it, unless you get that cop who had his lunch money taken during school years. If you have any chance of getting a break, it will be based on how you act. Some will write you no matter what, in that case keep your mouth shut. You can bet if you are a jerk it will come up in court and the judge could take this into account when giving out your fine. In any case this is the U.S.A. so you have to decide what to do. Get a lawyer who may cost you more than your fine or try to work some thing out for them to continue the case and have it dismissed after a period of time with no further arrests or community service. You may need a lawyer to work that out in CA but not sure. Personally I would get a lawyer and have him check your case out. Good Luck...

What city? What kind of land?

It was in a huge river bed in nor cal. I am not sure if the land is considered residential or not. One cop said it was private property, another said it was either state or county property.

I believe the (m) signifies Misdemeanor.

I can't find that code (602). Check and make sure you have that correct and then try this site to look it up.

It is penal code not vehicle code, the m is a sub division in penal code 602. Here is what 602(m) says-

"Entering and occupying real property or structures of any kind without the consent of the owner, the owner's agent, or the person in lawful possession."

I got this from http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/cgi-bin/waisgate?WAISdocID=04199311961+6+0+0&WAISaction=retrieve

Did it stay on your record? How did you get out of fines? Also, people ride at this spot everyday, including many of the top pros in my area. Everyone says you get a warning your first time, but they gave us all tickets.

I've been chased by the fuzz a few times. I pretend like I don't see them and then haul ass. It's easy to lose them in Florida because the woods are thick and the trails are thin.

Makzilla

Case law in CA requires that the owner post the property with at least one sign every 1/4 mile(might be off on this distance) and at every road or gate onto the property. They can cite you on unposted property but not unless the owner has informed you in person that the property is private and that you are trespassing. I would definitely fight this as it will show on your record as a criminal conviction unless your jurisdiction has an adult diversion program.

Joe

Don't sweat it!

Public defenders are provided to you by the court free of charge. These Lawyers are employed by the county and will not always go the extra mile for you. These types of Lawyers are meant for those who can not afford to get an Attorney on their own.

What you need to do is ask for a hearing. before the hearing date speak to your family Attorney or find one in your area that handles these types of cases. THEN when you get to the hearing ask to see the PROPERTY owner, if there is no property owner, then and only then it will have to be thrown out. IF THERE IS NO VICTIM THERE IS NO CRIME. No property owner, means no victim, no victim means no crime was commited.

Case law does not back up your statement. If you don't know your States case law I would suggest looking into it before you try to ignore the Officer next time you get stopped. Here is a hint, look up investigatory stop.

Rule # 1 if you run ya better get away or yer gunna get beat with a BATON (not a wooden stick) or (5DD flashlight) while some cowboy is yelling stop resisting :p:D

Rule # 2 if ya get caught and the word PENAL code is in it ......just take yer lumps and pay it and chalk it up as a learning experience :D

Have a nice day :o PENAL is never a good thing :):)

I havent been busted but near it. i wasnt gonna give up without fleaing the area.

It was the propert behind me, it is sum sort of a reserve for nature of sumthing like that. i went for a ride up the rode because i wanted sume speed unfortunatly a cop lived up this rode he was in an unmarked vehical and i didnt suspect a thing untill i i looked back and he was on my ass so i didnt stop i went down a gear (4th) pulled the throttle ass far ass it could go come into powerband and i was almost sitting my ass. i was goin throught gears in a matter of seconds till i reached 6th and my wheel finaly diecided to touch the road.

lucky this reserve could only be entered by 4 wheel drives or else i would have been caught, the enterince was a big mound and i hit his flat out. luckerly i wasnt seriously hurt just some miner scratches for tree branches.

i got home safly, put the bike away under a tarp or two. just to hide any evedance, it was all good and so am i. :)

I havent been busted but near it. i wasnt gonna give up without fleaing the area.

It was the propert behind me, it is sum sort of a reserve for nature of sumthing like that. i went for a ride up the rode because i wanted sume speed unfortunatly a cop lived up this rode he was in an unmarked vehical and i didnt suspect a thing untill i i looked back and he was on my ass so i didnt stop i went down a gear (4th) pulled the throttle ass far ass it could go come into powerband and i was almost sitting my ass. i was goin throught gears in a matter of seconds till i reached 6th and my wheel finaly diecided to touch the road.

lucky this reserve could only be entered by 4 wheel drives or else i would have been caught, the enterince was a big mound and i hit his flat out. luckerly i wasnt seriously hurt just some miner scratches for tree branches.

i got home safly, put the bike away under a tarp or two. just to hide any evedance, it was all good and so am i. :)

YEEE HAW!