Sign in to follow this  

Opinion Needed . 05 CRF250r or 05 CR125R

I know most are partial to the CRF and i cant blame you (bike of the year 2 years running and all)..but.... I am a beginner (over 30 rider) . I do not race . I just ride with my son on a local track for fun up to 2 times a week. I am concerned with the problems i am hearing with 4 strokes as well as the maintenance costs. If i am not a racer but love to ride alot, Should i save money and go with the Cr125 or spend the extra on the CRF. I can see the benefits of the CRF for racing but is it worth the extra expense and maintenance costs just for the recreational rider? Many thanks for your opinions

I got slammed on a previous post because I mentioned some negative comments about the 4-strokes.

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=227211

But in your case, I would recommend that a 4-stroke like the CRf250R is a good buy. Since you willl be riding trails, lugging around on a 4stroke is better than a 2-stroke. You don't have to worry about the clutch too much and more on riding.

I'd say ....go for the CRF250R.

Don't worry about the reliability. I had an 02 CRF450R and had more than 150 hours before having to replace my intake valves. Once I installed the aftermarket valves, I never had to adjust the valves again until I sold it 6 months ago.....

I honestly think that if your going to get a 2 smoke dont go with a 125, IMO they are harder to ride. *IF* you do go with a 2 stroke I would look into something like a KTM 200 or the newer CR250 they are supposed to be torquey. Peronally I loved the YZ 250 with a FMF Gnarly pipe and flywheel weights. :)

*IF* you do go with a 2 stroke I would look into something like a newer CR250 they are supposed to be torquey.

I would suggest an older CR250 if your going that route. Ever since Honda introduced the case-reed design they're 250 has gone to shit. It suffers greatly from the Waah-Wahh-Wahh Syndrome. Of course, it can be fixed to Waah-Waah with a VForce3 Reed Valve. I havn't figured out how to get rid of the third Waah though...:)

Doug

I would suggest an older CR250 if your going that route. Ever since Honda introduced the case-reed design they're 250 has gone to shit. It suffers greatly from the Waah-Wahh-Wahh Syndrome. Of course, it can be fixed to Waah-Waah with a VForce3 Reed Valve. I havn't figured out how to get rid of the third Waah though...:)

Doug

I said newer because apparently on the new 05's which are a extremely late release they apparently went away from the electronic operated valve and went back to mechanical which was supposed to of cured the waah-waah-waah syndrome. I havent ridden one yet so dont know if it did fix it for sure.

Basically you ride close to the way I do. I have a CRF250R and love it. You can't go wrong with the way you ride it is good for all the types of riding you do and you won't have a problem riding where ever you want.

A couple of points:

1) Don't discount a 250 2stroke. Maintenance costs will be lower and they last forever, especially if you're just tooling around the track. Even though ONLY4STROKES has an issue with the new CR's, Mike LaRocco doesn't seem to be having any problems with his?

2) Again, with your style of riding, I think a 4stroke would suit you very well. It's much easier to lug a 4stroke around.

) Don't discount a 250 2stroke. Maintenance costs will be lower and they last forever, especially if you're just tooling around the track. Even though ONLY4STROKES has an issue with the new CR's, Mike LaRocco doesn't seem to be having any problems with his?

Didn't you know??????? Only4strokes is a genius!!!

My buddy has an 02 and it seems to run great, he races moto with it. Just cause the mags bash them doesn't mean they're crap. My other friend has the slowest 125 made, the CR. His is an 04 and runs top 5 in the vet expert class against 250's and 450's, and it's only got a pipe and silencer.

If it was me I would opt for the case reed CR's just because of the ease of top end rebuilds. You don't even have to remove the head or carb to do it.

Then again I would recommend the CRF250. :)

I've had both. For me the 2-stroke is a better option but the CRF250 is a sweet all around bike. Plenty of power for anything and handles awesome. The CR 2-strokes are good too but don't have alot of power. I'd say if your considering a 125 then look at the 250. It's tame and is much easier to ride than a 125. Don't get me wrong, once you learn how to ride a 125 correctly they are awesome but there is a learning curve with the clutching. If I were you though I would get the CRF250. Maintenance is the only drawback.

Like a few had said the 125 is not for beginers.I know it has less power but you have to be on the throttle all the time you cant lug it .The best bike for older beginer riders is a 250 4 stroke.I have 14 months and close to or over 100 hrs with no problems.But if you have a problem and you dont know how to work on it yourself it will be a pain.If you cant work on it and you dont have the money to pay someone get the 250 2 stroke.

I never rode 250 2strokes. Just taken a joy ride on one. I have oned a YZ and CR 125 and had to clutch like crazy. It was fun though. Sometimes I miss that. Even though I was just making noise half the time instead of getting to where I want like I do on the CRF. But tell me, since I skipped the 250 2stroke. Are they as fun as a 250F. Are they a ton crazier than the tame baby thumper. I won't lie, sometimes I think I should own one. To me they are the epitome of a dirtbike. Please don't bash me for being honest with all of you. I feel myself walking the thin line. :)

After riding 4-strokes for 3 years when I first got my 05 250 2-stroke I thought "Oh my what did I get?" "I could have bought a brand new 450!!" I was all over the place. Now I wouldnt trade it. The bike is very fast and very fun to ride but getting used to a 2-stroke period is alittle work. Your either all over the place or clutching like crazy. But they are more fun for me and I can go alot faster. For the power the new 125's have just as much and sometimes more peak hp than the 250f's. They just dont come on as early with the torque or as smooth so they require more work. Now the 450 is the real cheater bike. They are about 3+ hp more than a 250 and have alot more torque too. I couldnt ride my friends 05.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Reply with:

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By Kadensmith44
      I’m wanting to powder coat my bike but it’s all new to me. I’ve got a powder coater picked out that I’ve heard is good for what I’m doing. I’m not 100% what kind of sand blaster I need and what kind of media. I have also heard you can’t cook in the oven after you’ve baked your parts is that true?
    • By luke8500
      Hi all, 
      I have a 2004 honda crf250r and it wont start hot at all. The motor was just rebuilt with a new cylinder and piston. The valves were just adjusted. It will start cold in 1 or 2 kicks with choke but as soon as it gets hot it wont start. If you bump start it the motor will just turn over without starting.  sometimes it will start. It runs great until you shut it off.  im thinking its either a fuel issue or an electrical issue. Any help would be greatly appreciated. 
    • By SandSoldier
      Hello! This listing is for my 2007 Honda CRF250R dirt bike. Last winter I spun the rod bearing and just recently finished rebuilding it. Selling to fund new bike. I am currently the second owner.

Current registration valid until 2020, pink slip in hand.

Fresh parts:
      -top end kit: Wiseco; forged, moly skirt coated, 12.9:1 comp ratio (new wrist pin, gaskets, etc)
      -cylinder: new OEM
      -bottom end kit: Wiseco; (new bearings, seals, etc)
      -oil pump: new OEM
      -head studs & nuts: new OEM

-fresh oil and filter
      -all tolerances checked in top end
      -valves adjusted
      -carb adjusted

Note:
      *rebuild was done by my dad (master tech at CAT) and I (4th year mechanical engineering student)
      *has maybe 15 minutes on new parts, IT HAS NOT BEEN PROPERLY BROKEN IN YET
      *I have email receipts, pics of rebuild, and old parts as proof of rebuild, just ask and I'll show em off

Other parts:
      -90% tread on front and rear tires
      -excell takasago front wheel
      -custom aluminum skid plate
      -wrap around hand guards
      -spark arrestor
      -kickstand

Feel free to ask for any more specifics or pictures!

LOCAL PICK UP ONLY

Thanks!
    • By Matt Ray
      Okay so the title is a little vague. 
      So it was having trouble idling and even starting when I first bought it about a month ago for $2k. 
      So I did a rough clean of carb, looked up on YouTube, Forums, Etc on how to do it. I only cleaned jets with carb cleaner and sprayed around the float bowl area and such, so not too extensive.
      Did that and I took it out to a park, It would start up right away mostly, few kicks sometimes, but when I got it started, I had to keep the choke on. Right when I was ready to go fast and go up to 3rd and 4th gear I'd switch it off and it would work fine and sound fine and everything, but when I slowed back down and coasted around 1st gear i'd pop it back out again because it sounded like it was going to do. I have some videos if people would like me to link to them.

So after that I decided to take it apart and replace spark plug with OEM NGK R0409B-8, replace main jet from a old 170 to a new 170, replaced pilot jet from a old 40 to a new 42, and kept starter jet the same just made sure that wasn't clogged, ordered a new adjustable fuel screw and used that.
      and it was still having a little bit of problems! I just started up today and the day before today. It would run only with choke on, if i twisted throttle in neutral it sounded pretty good, no gun shot noises or anything, pretty smooth. 
      If I tried to take choke off it would die immediately. So I started it back up again, took around 6 kicks.. So again with choke on it sounded like it was starting to lose power and RPM's would drop so I'd twist throttle a few times and it would stay idling.. then after a small amount of time, start to sound like its about to die again... so I would rev it up again, and repeat..

Fuel line isn't clogged, flows fine.
      I tried fuel screw everywhere between 1 and 2 turns out..
      I checked valve clearances, and I'm no expert but from the videos I watched the slipped underneath intake and exhaust with only minor force.
      So I'm lost.. 
      Maybe float bowl is messed up? Should I just do a COMPLETE carb rebuild from videos I've seen on youtube, like this one -> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3AXb9UprT30? Or what? 

It's getting annoying taking it apart all the time, I jsut want it to start up quickly and run well!!

Thank you!

Austin, TX, Elevation 600ft, where I ride its around 900ft

• By Bryan Bosch
      WASHINGTON, D.C. – August 16, 2018 – (Motor Sports Newswire) –

Honda Recall Summary:
      Name of product: CRF250R Off-Road Motorcycles Hazard: The clutch outer can break, posing crash and injury hazards. Remedy: Repair Recall date: August 16, 2018 Units: About 3,200
      Consumer Contact: American Honda toll-free at 866-784-1870 from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. PT Monday through Friday or online at http://powersports.honda.com/ and click on “Recall Information” at the bottom of the page for more information.
      Honda Recall Details:
      Description: This recall involves all 2018 Model Year CRF250R off-road motorcycles. The recalled motorcycles were sold in a red color. The names “HONDA” and “CRF250R” are printed on the sides of the motorcycle. The model name and model year are printed on a name plate label located at the front right top of the frame, near the steering head.
      Remedy: Consumers should immediately stop using the recalled off-road motorcycles and contact their local authorized Honda Powersports dealer to schedule an appointment for a free repair. Honda is contacting all known purchasers directly.
      Incidents/Injuries: American Honda has received 19 reports of clutch failure, including two that led to engine lock up. No crashes or injuries reported.
      Sold At: Authorized Honda Powersports dealers nationwide from November 2017 through July 2018 for about $8,000.
      Manufacturer(s): American Honda Motor Company Inc., of Torrance, Calif. Manufactured In: Japan Recall number: 18-759 This recall was conducted, voluntarily by the company, under CPSC’s Fast Track Recall process. Fast Track recalls are initiated by firms, who commit to work with CPSC to quickly announce the recall and remedy to protect consumers.
      The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission is charged with protecting the public from unreasonable risks of injury or death associated with the use of thousands of types of consumer products under the agency’s jurisdiction. Deaths, injuries, and property damage from consumer product incidents cost the nation more than $1 trillion annually. CPSC is committed to protecting consumers and families from products that pose a fire, electrical, chemical or mechanical hazard. CPSC’s work to help ensure the safety of consumer products – such as toys, cribs, power tools, cigarette lighters and household chemicals -– contributed to a decline in the rate of deaths and injuries associated with consumer products over the past 40 years.
      Federal law bars any person from selling products subject to a publicly-announced voluntary recall by a manufacturer or a mandatory recall ordered by the Commission.
      Source: Consumer Product Safety Commission