Sign in to follow this  

crf 250r needle clip position

Im trying to change the position of the clip on the needle. Im trying to go to the third position. Stock is at 4 but to get to the 3rd. do I raise the clip to lower the needle or do I lower the clip to raise the needle. I don't know at which end you start with by counting the positions. FMF recommends

160-42-3rd clip and 2 on the screw.

Thanks.

do I raise the clip to lower the needle or do I lower the clip to raise the needle. I don't know at which end you start with by counting the positions. FMF recommends

160-42-3rd clip and 2 on the screw.

Thanks.

You're right both ways. By raising the clip, you lower the needle. By lowering the clip

you raise the needle. The needle position is measured from the top. Being that FMF

recommends the 3rd clip, then just move the clip up one. The 3rd position is the same

if you're going from the top or bottom, since it's in the middle.

I must add that if you're on 4 now (from the top) then going to 3 will lean the bike out.

Adding an FMF should allow you to pump MORE fuel through not less.

Im going from a 160/40/4th position to a 160/42/3rd position. Im hunting for the right jetting combo for my bike. I have a 04 crf 250r with a Dr.D pipe. I want to run VP-U4 so Im using that and trying to get the jetting on so Im not just wasting the good vp with a bad jet setup.

So leaning out the needle doesn't make any sense. I would go up

on the pilot and see how it rides. Check to see if under initial acceleration it has a

bog to it. If so, then turn out your fuel screw. If you get to 3 turns out, then go up.

I think a 42 will be good for you. I would then experiment w/ the main jet. Try going

up to a 162, 165, 168, 170, etc.. until you feel a blubber under heavy load. Once

you feel the blubber back it down and you'll be set. I repeat, I would not lean my needle

out.