Sign in to follow this  

525SX or XR650R

I previously owned an '01 XR650R and loved it. I didnt have any problems with it (except for the clutch bushing and countershaft seal). I regretfully sold it back in '02. The uncorked power wasnt bad, but not all I had hoped for. The time has come to buy a bike again. I have always been a die-hard honda fan. I first owned a 2001 XR250r, then a 2001 CR250R, 01 XR650R, 01 CR500R, 02 CRF450 etc, etc. The only bike I was really pleased with the power of was the CR500 2 stroke. My question is how reliable is the 525SX as opposed to the BRP? I have never ridden a KTM. I am used to honda handling. But I really yearn for a lighter big bore. If the BRP weighed the same as the 525 there would be no question. Which bike can you make the most powerful. Power is a big issue but power and weight combined is the #1 issue.

Any thoughts?

Im in the dark I know nothing about KTMS

I've ridden both bikes, but not for very long so this is more impression than fact. The 525sx felt more powerful and lighter than the xr650. The XR had all the usual mods. The power difference was only marginal, but the weight difference was substantial. Only in the lower RPM range did the XR have more grunt, but that may be fixable if you change the gearing on the SX. I don't know which bike has more power on tap with full mods.

The SX suspension if set up for MX and would need a revalve for regular offroad use. As you know, the XR suspension felt like a Cadillac. No way I could have ridden the SX for more than 1-2 hours without a much softer suspension.

Also suggest you check in on KTMtalk.com for more info about the SX. Lots of owners there.

My good friend owns and rides a 01 xr 650 with every mod possible. The bike is running close to about 65hp which is about what a stock 525sx produces. I ride a 525 mxc with quite a few mods and my bike will pull his off the line without breaking a sweat. the only times he even has a marginal advantage is when we ride baja. At that moment in time not much will keep up with his bike wide open through the desert, unless you have a 610 kit in your ktm : ). Anyhow he is going to be buying a 525 just for the fact that he likes riding mine around the woods more then his 650. So i guess you have to figure out what type of riding you will be doing to help determine the best bike for you. But i have to tell you i dont plan on giving up my ktm anytime soon : ) Hope my two cents helped.

I have a KTM 525 MXC which I purchased to take the place of a Honda CRF 450. I also had a Honda XR 650R which I was going to keep as a dual sport bike that had all the usual mods (uncorked, FMF pipe, suspension work etc.) After riding the KTM and Honda both for several months I found myself always on the KTM which is lighter and in my opinion has better overall performance. I decided to sell the Honda after a friend and I went on a desert ride and would switch back and forth between the KTM and Honda. The KTM was just more fun to ride. I have had Honda's since 1982 which include XR 500, CR 480, CR 500's, XR 600's, CRF 450 and the XR 650. The 525 MXC was my first KTM and I just bought a 200 EXC for tight trails and I love both bikes. I plan to dual sport the KTM and ride it anywhere I would have the Honda. I like the KTM MXC over the SX due to the e-start and softer suspension (I'm 47 and like the plusher ride).

a friend of mine once said that the only place he liked his 650 better than his KTM was on the the big black trail with the yellow line down the middle. I ride a 525 mxc, and have ridden many a different bike. I cannot imagine a better do everthing bike than the 525 mxc. Exc can be good as well, but I prefer the Gearing on the mxc.

A better question would be a 525 MXc vs. a 525Sx for off road and Baja? They both look fun. And how much better they are (or are not) over the 520 models?

From the 520 to 525 the improvments are minor, mostly suspention, each year seams to get better, engine changes have been very minor,

If you're looking for a light KTM with a ton of power, you should consider the 300EXC. It is an ultra light two smoker with killer power.

I have a '05 mxc ,and my buddy has a '03 XR650R(power up kit only).Sunday we went riding in the hi desert and on both hi speed runs(on our 80 mile ride)his bike would pull mine in top gear.Only by a little bit ,but i was surprised. :)

If your looking for light weight bike that handles great then the ktm is your ticket just pick your style mxc 6spd, 3.1 gallon tank, or 4 spd 236 lbs dry weight.