Sign in to follow this  

KLX 300 Carb Question

On the left side of the carb (on the engine intake side), there is a metal cap about 3/8 " in size. What is behind this cap. I didn't really pull on it too hard but it seems to be pressed on. Also I wanted to look at the jet, I think it's the fuel screw, on the bottom of the carb infront of the float bowl but there is a brass plug looking thing there. Is there an adjustment under this plug and if so how does the plug come out?

Don't mess with the cap on the left side of the engine. It's covering one of the pivots of the butterfly valve.

To access the pilot screw on the bottom of the carb, CAREFULLY drill a hole through the thin aluminum plug and then pry it out with a small screw driver or similar instrument. A good starting point for the pilot screw is 2-2 1/2 turns out.

Ride on

Brewster

Thank you Brewster.

I have got the shop manual for my bike (2004) but it doesn't show too much detail on the carb. It is mostly for the KLX250 with a small amendment for the KLX300. :)

Don't mess with the cap on the left side of the engine. It's covering one of the pivots of the butterfly valve.

To access the pilot screw on the bottom of the carb, CAREFULLY drill a hole through the thin aluminum plug and then pry it out with a small screw driver or similar instrument. A good starting point for the pilot screw is 2-2 1/2 turns out.

Ride on

Brewster

I think Brew has the CA kawi model. My bike had no plug in front of the pilot screw. Have a look at it before you haul out the Binford hammer drill.

Ok, just to be sure that we are talking about the same plug: On the bottom of the carb, at the engine side of it, there is a tubular part of the casting that comes down about 3/4" and is about 3/8" diameter. Inside of that tube is the pilot screw. The California model has a plug in the tube. California model bikes were sold in more states than just California.

Ride on

Brewster

I guess I should have stated I live in Canada. But anyway, I found there is no plug in that tube and I can see the slotted head for the screw now. But right directly behind that tube is a small brass plug up inside a small cast hole and that's the one I was wondering about.