03 05 crf linkage the same

• 2 weeks later...

One question, i got the 04 likage off ebay. In the triangular piece, The bearings are totally shot. What i was wondering is can i take my 02 triangular piece and use the 04 linkage/dogbone shape? That is the only part that changed right, the triangular part has stayed the same right? After all that is what the storm link is, just the dogbone. THanks

The triangular piece has more to do with changing the rising rate than the link rod does. The length of the link rod has directly changes the height of the rear of the bike but the bearing centers on the triangular part is very critical to the rising rate.

Well, i got the bearings out with a torch. Worked good. I have one more question, what do i do with the sag. Should i leave it at stock? Because if i drop the back of the bike down again wont i be back where i started? Thanks

Well, i got the bearings out with a torch. Worked good. I have one more question, what do i do with the sag. Should i leave it at stock? Because if i drop the back of the bike down again wont i be back where i started? Thanks

Once it is all back together properly, then set your sag to 95mm RIDER sag and test ride...typically you want to be between 95mm to 105mm rider sag.

• 1 year later...

Almost answered my question:

Is the 05' linkage (not the center piece) the same length as the 02?

Also, the aftermarket links available replace the outside link (not the center). Length of this piece is what you want to change for better turning.

If only I could find a few people to measure there's...hint...

03' and 05' especially

• 3 weeks later...

I couldn't find the info, so I did a little digging:

From left to right 02 CR450F 03-04 CRF450 and the STORM linkage

If you purchased an 02 and want the revised linkage you'll need to replace the entire assembly, not just the horseshoe (for a lack of a better word)

Additionally, from what I have read the STORM was supposed to be longer, not shorter....glad I did a little diging :applause:

Lastly, the triangular piece is not the same as the 03 04 CRF

dscf0980.jpg

dscf0981.jpg

dscf0982.jpg

dscf0983.jpg

• 1 month later...

Damn Jon you need Photoshop. Remind me when we do the forks I'll get you a copy! Can you make the PICS any BIGGER? I can't see them!:excuseme:

The links, depending on the length will effect the handling because they will either raise or lower the rear end and slightly effect the raising rate. The center linkage effects the rising rate. The initial part of the stoke is soft then as the shock moves deeper in the stroke the curve starts to rise quickly and stiffen things up. Too steep of curve can cause a sharp hit or harshness in the stroke. The goal for the '05- was to get more of a liner or lighter curve if you will to remove the sharp climb in rate.

The real issue is that the Showa TC from '02-'3 just plain sucked....:applause:

theDogger