Sign in to follow this  

Is it just me?

My dad who has more money than they know what to do with, bought a couple of sport quad's they are in very nice shape, both Yamaha 350's, one built for racing, the other stock. He wanted to go test them out, before reselling (reason he bought them, got a good deal). He asked if I would like to go with him for a short afternoon "test" ride, I had nothing better to do (I thought) and said sure, afternoon ride, who would pass that up. I don't own a quad, never have, but have ridden a few over the years, for short test rides around a field or in the sand. We rode trails today for about 6 hours, and I have never been so beat up, sore, uncomfortable, heavy feeling, and miserable in all my life, I don't know how these quad people can ride those heavy gravity sucking tanks all day long. I am not trying to put down anyone with a quad, so don't get me wrong, but if you have a quad, try a bike, you'll feel like your riding on a cloud compared to the spine crunching thumb numbing chunks of lead with wheels I had the mispleasure of wasting a perfectly good TV watching day on. Again, nothing personal. Has anyone else had this kind of "experience on a quad" to share?

I had a ride on a gocart a while ago,about an hour,the stress on my wrists

was heaps,and i am a builder so am used to hard work.Bikes are much easier

on my body.

My dad who has more money than they know what to do with, bought a couple of sport quad's they are in very nice shape, both Yamaha 350's, one built for racing, the other stock. He wanted to go test them out, before reselling (reason he bought them, got a good deal). He asked if I would like to go with him for a short afternoon "test" ride, I had nothing better to do (I thought) and said sure, afternoon ride, who would pass that up. I don't own a quad, never have, but have ridden a few over the years, for short test rides around a field or in the sand. We rode trails today for about 6 hours, and I have never been so beat up, sore, uncomfortable, heavy feeling, and miserable in all my life, I don't know how these quad people can ride those heavy gravity sucking tanks all day long. I am not trying to put down anyone with a quad, so don't get me wrong, but if you have a quad, try a bike, you'll feel like your riding on a cloud compared to the spine crunching thumb numbing chunks of lead with wheels I had the mispleasure of wasting a perfectly good TV watching day on. Again, nothing personal. Has anyone else had this kind of "experience on a quad" to share?

See your problem was your clothing.............it's all in the clothing when you ride a quad :) you forgot your bib overalls :p:D:):D

Now that you mention it, I think that's what I don't like about them too...I could never figure it out. You're right they are hard on you when you're trying to manuever them through anything other than an open flat trail. I've ridden them, and enjoyed them a lot for getting from point A to point B through fields because it was easier than driving the truck. They're fun for lazy rides when you just want to enjoy the scenery in a nice open area, or are the only way to go for off-road utility use...patroling land, fence repair, etc.

The one's set up for desert look like fun, and I'd never say I wouldn't own one, but the bike is definitely my first choice.

How was your dad at the end of the ride? Maybe he's been practicing and the whole thing was a setup to whack on his favorite son? Maybe he set the shock preload on 'Hard' on one side of the quad and 'soft' on the other, just to mess with you. 40 lbs of air in the tires? Armorall on the seat? A little jetting adjustment?

You gotta check these things out beforehand! A test ride turning into 6 hours by itself is probable cause. He's out to get you for being such a horrible child :)

Its not just you, I know exactly what your talking about. Riding a quad in anything but flat surfaces beats you up 3 times as bad as a bike. Now I'm just going off of my experiences on a TRX250EX. Its not the most performance driven quad and doesn't have the top end suspension as that of the race quads. When your going over bumps and your taking hits on all four wheel's, it can really beat you up. ATVing in the mud or sand is great, but ill stick to my 2 wheeler!

I prefer two wheels anyday, feel like I have alot more control......

Raptors can be a blast though!!