Sign in to follow this  

RC's advantage

is it me or is there a question that RC's weight gives him an advantage on the track?? don't get me wrong. he is a great rider but when he does go down it seems to take him forever to get the bike up. i know he works out but he looks to weigh about $1.50 wet.

MXJunky thinks you may be referencing RCs slow get up time due to viewing the A1 SX race. If that is the case, RC has a very good excuse in that his bike probably had an extra 40 pounds of mud stuck to it, compounded by the fact that riding in mud takes more out of a guy. RC is in very excellent physical shape, and could probably kick some ace in a fight.

As far as wieght being an advantage, that probably does have some bearing on RCs ability to whip the competition like red headed step children. The link below lists RCs weight as 150... The main reason for RC dominance would probably be a combo of confidence, fitness, and raw talent. :)

http://www.motocrossking.com/bios/rickycarmichael/RickyCarmichael.aspx

MXJunky thinks you may be referencing RCs slow get up time due to viewing the A1 SX race. If that is the case, RC has a very good excuse in that his bike probably had an extra 40 pounds of mud stuck to it, compounded by the fact that riding in mud takes more out of a guy. RC is in very excellent physical shape, and could probably kick some ace in a fight.

As far as wieght being an advantage, that probably does have some bearing on RCs ability to whip the competition like red headed step children. The link below lists RCs weight as 150... The main reason for RC dominance would probably be a combo of confidence, fitness, and raw talent. :)

http://www.motocrossking.com/bios/rickycarmichael/RickyCarmichael.aspx

MXJunky says it all! His physical shape is excellent, and he handled the 450 in a super way during the 04 nats... I don't doubt his strength! :)

Everyone above is correct in that RC's Big advangtage is that fact that he trains like a madman. His work ethic is very good and he also has the determination to go out there and win.

I have thought some into the issue of weight though. If you put me and RC on two identical bikes and we drag raced and had to stop at a central point at the end of our track...I am sure that it would take me a little longer to stop being that I have about 70 to 80 pounds on him.

I think it's more talent than sheer physics. Remember when McGrath was on top? He's bigger than RC, and the same size as Emig, Larocco, Henry and the rest of the mid to late 90's MX stars, yet he ALWAYS got the holeshot. It ain't the size of the dog in the fight, it's the amount of fight in the dog...

Talk about small, did you ever see that Alessi kid without his shirt on, STRING BEAN. That little twerp rode the big ole 450 last year, I don't know how the kid holds on with the spaghetti arms! Ricky is small but stocky, the guy's in great shape.

Current 250cc motocross bikes have a horsepower to weight ratio of roughly 1:4. Add a 150lb. rider and the ratio moves to 1:7.

A ten to twenty pound difference in the rider's weight, while it does have a factor, it is a small one. RC is smaller in stature than many of the other top riders out there. His lack of height has been a factor in his ability to get through the whoops as well as some one like Reed. Reed's height allows him to get further back on the bike through those sections better with less effort than Carmichael. That isn't to say RC can't ride whoops, he attacks the hell out of them. Just imagine if he had a couple more inches to work with.

Reed dropped serious weight this year with his training regimen. Look at interviews from last year and compare them with this years. His face looks very thin in comparison.

Alessi is a bean pole. You watch that kid and he uses excellent body mechanics to stay on that 450F. Gripping the bike with his legs and not holding on with his spaghetti thin arms. Hell, a 450 will pull a FULLY grown man's arms out of his sockets by the end of a 30 minute moto if he is only holding on by his arms. :):)

RC must never drop his bike. If you look at how he attempted to lift his bike and turn it around, it was very amateurish compared to those who hit the dirt constantly. All he had to do was grab the rear fender and pull that end down the hill. That would have allowed the bike to lean into the hill from a side mounting approach. Plus with his small stature, with the bike leaning that way, it would have given him a lot more leverage to kick the bike over.

This experience comes from crash/dump practice. Probably the rarest practice RC EVER sees. :)

ricky carmichael's advantage is he was born with the natural ability to do whatever he wants on a dirt bike. his weight has nothing to do with it.

doug

'04 yz250f

or because he works,trains,rides HARDER HARDER HARDER!

the guy is dedicated dont try and BS me and tlel me its natural

Don't get me wrong. I have no doubt as to his training and commitment. I was noticeing that he so much less than the others and the way the bike seems to muscle him when he does go down such as in the last race where REED won. I do see what you mean by him not haveing the height and all for the whoops. All in all he is a mad man on the bike. Just wanted to see what everyone thought of what looked to be his LITTLE advantage.