Sign in to follow this  

Setting up my 03 CRF450

I started riding again recently, bought an 03 450, the first bike I've owned in 7 years (yikes, can't believe it's been that long!) My last two bikes were an 89 CR500 and a 92 WR500. This is my first four stroke.

I was hoping you guys could help me with some setup tips. First ride was right after a rain, pretty slick, and I stalled it a lot, especially on uphills. It kicked my butt to be honest, going to have to get used to it, and learn how to ride again :)

I'm 6'4", 220 lbs, will be riding trails mostly, plenty of tight stuff. Current gearing is 13/52. Stock suspension. A few questions:

Any suggestions for suspension settings? I haven't touched it at all yet.

I'm thinking I'll add a flywheel weight to start, and a Rekluse later. Which weight should I buy considering I'll be running it with the Rekluse later? (When I get some more cash, after buying the bike, full gear, fluids, and a bunch of other misc. stuff I'm a bit broke at the moment...)

Also, can anybody tell if this Rekluse is an older version? :

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=4530038876&category=35595&sspagename=WDVW

You will need a heavier spring in the back. I think it's a 5.7 kg/mm (don't quote me on that). Set the sag at 100mm in back, and go from there.

I do not feel a flywheel is necessary with the Rekluse. Overkill. You could even go to a 13/50 with the auto-clutch to get a bit more topend gearing.

At 220, you could go with a 5.9 rear and .50 fork springs.

Id start you there...