Sign in to follow this  

Super Moto XR400

Very Nice.

You know what would look even better?

Black rims! :)

Good work! :)

I was thinking of doing that to my XR4, but too $$$!

How was your conversion price? And what was involved?

IM VERY INTERESTED! Tell us everything!

HAVE FUN! :p

Hi

Wheel colour - yeah couldn't make my mind up. I thought about gold, but my brother talked me into white - they definately stand out !

Total cost of conversion was about £280. That's parts and materials only. My brother and I did all the work.

The wheels ( £70 including tyres, second hand) are off a Suzuki RGV250, they had to have the faces machined to make them sit central between swinging arm and forks. Also had to machine the cush drive down for the same reason. Then had the wheels powder coated ( £85 ) and fitted new wheel bearings (£25). Stainless steel spacers were spun up in the lathe to correctly space everthing.

The RGV rear disc was too small so we machined one from stainless steel.

One of the front discs was removed (obviously not needed ) and a blank made to cover the disc holes. The other front disc is only 300mm, so a Talon adapter wouldn't work, so we machined our own.

117-1761_IMG.jpg

We couldn't get a sprocket to fit the RGV cush drive, so we bought a blank and machined it to fit.

All the parts we made (apart from the disc) were then gold anodised (£35).

I've fitted it with a Trail Tech, so I can use the speedo for the on-road and off-road wheels ( it has two settings for different wheel diameters).

It's quite a lot of work, obviously made easier because my brother has his own engineering business, but I'm very pleased with the results.

I actually dig the white rims. Im an opponent of black rims as I think it melds them into the background, instead of showcasing them , as the works of art and engineering that they are.

Curious to see what silver or polished would look like.

Only problems with cast wheels for supermotard is they are quite a bit heavier, than spoked rims laced to standard hubs, so you'll find you slide a bit earlier on the dirt and if you are doing much jumping they can fracture or crack, especially if the jump you take off from has a landing point on the next tarmac section. Should be great fun on tarmac though.

bdmmotard, That forum is Ausome!

Those Photo's! You Ledgend! Ive always wanted to do that to my XR4, But it jsut seems too expencive and tricky. For instance, how much are the set of Excel 17 inch rims?

i found this on east coast wheel

Basic Conversion Kit

The Basic Conversion Kit includes the items needed to convert your bike to a basic supermotard bike.

Kit Includes:

1 Front Excel Rim 17 x 3.50

1 Rear Excel Rim 17 x 4.25

Heavy Duty Stainless Steel Spokes and Nipples

1 EBC 320mm Rotor with relocation bracket

SMBASCONKIT-ECWRegular price: $1,000.00East Coast Wheels Sale price: $700.00

meaning i gotta use my stock hub right??

Cool, thanks for that info rookie517!

I may have to PM you in the distant future to get more detailed onfo of where to order it from exacly. Thats if I did happent to go ahead with it.

Thanks!

:)