Sign in to follow this  

Proper way to ck oil ?

What is the correct way to check the oil on the 250f? The manual says add so much and check the dip stick, it doesnt even say to start the motor so of course nothing shows until you run the motor a couple of minutes. How long do you guys run the motor and how long do you let it sit before checking the dipstick.

It seems if you check right after the motor is shut off, it shows to be over full even with the correct amount added, if it sits overnight it show empty on the stick.

It just seems to be so inconsistent so I always wonder if its just right.

Of course when the filters are changed it takes a little bit more.

How do you guys measure ?

wait about 2 minutes after running it.

Better yet, change it every ride day and then you'll never wonder how much dirty oil you have. :)

Better yet, change it every ride day and then you'll never wonder how much dirty oil you have. :)

yeah and then sell your house so you can afford to keep buying more oil. :)

In my australian manual it says start the bike and run it for several minutes then turn it off and take the reading in 5 minutes. But dont screw it right in just dip it in.

You need to reread the oil check procedure carefuly again. The oil in the frame will drain back into the case over time when the engine is off. So you can't check the oil unless the engine has been started.

In my australian manual it says start the bike and run it for several minutes then turn it off and take the reading in 5 minutes. But dont screw it right in just dip it in.

I do the same thing YZ250fRider does. I change my oil every single ride, still haven't needed to sell the house :) . But for me thats just something I've always done to keep things in tip top shape.

the yamaha 250f is a dry-sump so you have to warmup the engine before anything at all will show up on the dipstick. take it out and fully warmup the bike, then come to a stop and sit for about 2-3 minutes then check the oil level for the most accurate reading.

doug

'04 yz250f

I agree with this. I bought a new 05' the other week and bought some oil for it. It cost me $89 for 4L of Motul oil and $10 for the filter. The manual says it takes 1.3L of oil, so i end up getting 3 changes out of $89 of oil. If i change the filter each time add another $10 each change. I am going to change it every 300 to 500 kms. But not after every ride.

If you can get Shell Rotella oil then use it. It's a better oil and at $7/gallon US its a lot cheaper too. Buy either a stainless steel filter or a brass filter for an 02 yz250f and use them. You can clean and reuse them forever. I use the 02 yz250f filters in our 04's.

Remember the bikes see the severest duty an engine can. they are constantly ran as hard as possible in the dirtiest muddiest dustiest enviroment around. that hose running from the cam cover down to the bottom of the frame has no problem sucking dust and dirt up in it.

Change the oil like it was your religion.