Sign in to follow this  

Street bikes & the Ducati Multistrada

Your thinking what the **** am I talking about a Ducati for!!! Just to talk about somthen completly different for a change, instead of tyres, Brakes, shocks, starters, headlights, clutches, suspention, bla bla bla................

Well I was thinken, When I finish my apprenticeship in a few years, I would realy like to buy a new street bike. But there wasnt any I realy like overly that much. I dont like the CBR's, way too race orientated. I would like somthen more like a tourer, with that amount of kays I do on the road (a shit load). But all the tourers are too big and heavy. I just love the feel of my XR4 on the road! SO EASILY MANEUVERABLE! AND GREAT HANDELING! I love the hight of it too. and how its skinny. and just everything about it. Thats probly because im just so used to it.

I realy couldnt make up my mind what I should get. Nothen realy suits my riding style. My Brother has a 2002 Honda CB900F Hornet, Thats nice, and POWERFUL, But I just dont like the feel of it, I thinks its the center of gravity, its too high, So when you ride, it stays uprite hard, but with the taller XR the center of gravity is lower, and its way more easy to manouver. Get it? More floopy, MORE FUN!

Since I love me old XR4 so much, No way in hell would I trade it in! They'd probly only give me $2.50 for it by then! I'll keep it to ride to work and back and fun every day, and somthen else for the week end and club rides.

Anyway, I saw some photo's the Ducati Multistrada 1000 DS when it came out, And I thought, What a damn ugly bike!

A few months later I saw a report on it saying how bloody brilliant it is. And had a read of it, and saw the photo's. After a while the look of it realy grew on me. In the articles Ive read its says they made it to be more like a super motard, more like a single cylender bike, but with the power of a V-twin. Its also a very skinny bike. And Tall! With Superb handering and maneuverability!

Its been about a year since I first thought it was an ugly bike, But now I LOVE IT! I want to buy it. Is damn expencive though, 20 grand Aus! Thats $15,750 US! But with the millions I hope to be making when I finish my Apprenticeship, that should cover it!:)

I reckon its the best street bike I can find after stepping of a dirt bike, and wanting the same fun on a tourer! In the reviews they say its so much fun riding it! Just like an SM! But with wind protection, more power, GPS, and a heap of other stuff. I love the look of it now!

What you reckon?

Heres a SHIT LOAD of big wallpapers I found of it, to see what it looks like;

multistrada_1024x768_16.jpg

multistrada_1024x768_15.jpgmultistrada_1024x768_14.jpgmultistrada_1024x768_13.jpgmultistrada_1024x768_12.jpgmultistrada_1024x768_11.jpgmultistrada_1024x768_9.jpgmultistrada_1024x768_7.jpgmultistrada_1024x768_6.jpg

multistrada_1024x768_5.jpgmultistrada_1024x768_8.jpgmultistrada_1024x768_4.jpgmultistrada_1024x768_3.jpgmultistrada_1024x768_10.jpg2003-duc-ms-04-zoom.jpg2003-duc-ms-02-zoom.jpg

See how its realy skinny and tall, like an XR! Love it? Or hate it!?

If youse had or already have a street bike, what would it be? What do you like dislike about the street bikes?

HAVE FUN! :)

The biggest problem with a lightweight "tourer" style bike is that it is lightweight. It's great in tight canyons (Supermotos are excellent for this) but on the highway, or blasting through the desert at speed you will get blown all over the place by a stiff wind. This and the lack of wind protection is enough to make a 400 mile day exhausing! On my VFR I can do 800 mile days forever and not get tired. It's heavy, but steady and smooth.

If you're looking more for bopping around locally, then it's not a concern, but if you plan on doing some real riding, you will want something that is a bit heavier.

You should look into the Speed Triple (heavy, but nimble with a reasonably low center of gravity) or perhaps the KTM SuperDuke. :) Those two are both on my short list of bikes to add to my garage.

The biggest drawbacks of the Multistrada are the maintanence cycle (which can put you in the poor house real quick) and the horrible, horrible seat! I have yet to see a good aftermarket seat for one, but coming back from the races at LAguna Seca I saw half a dozen Multistradas with the riders sitting on top of folded up towels! lol Hysterical for a $10k bike!!! Still, brilliant handling and a fun motor. It is close to being a great motorcycle IMHO.

I was excited to give a Multistrada a ride. Perhaps my expectations were a little too high, but all in all it wasn't a bad ride. Like ZenMoto said, the seat SUCKS! It was also a little unnerving to be on a tall bike like that sitting straight up at high speeds. The bike is also fairly heavy (at least heavier than i expected), compared to our XR's, so i don't know how great of a super moto spoof it would be. I have a ducati monster, and couldn't be happier with it. It's great for around the town stuff, and I have no problem being on it for 3-4 hrs at a time. It also isn't as sporty looking as a CBR or of it's clones. For the money, i'd go with a monster or speed triple! Here's my monster.

duc_monster1.jpg:)

Interesting! Very interesting! Keep it coming! :)

So, Zenmoto whats this maintanence cycle you refer to? Do they need full on rebuilds every so so kays? Whats the deal with that?

And about the seat, in all the reviews Ive read they complain about the seat. But in the 05 model its been fixed up a bit, and aparently its a little better, But ducati recomends for you to buy their optional extra "comfort" seat. Im yet to read a review where the bike is already fitted with one of these seats. They just recomend it.

Terminal_Preppy, thats one damn nice bike! I love the Matt black paint job. The Honda VTR1000 firestorms come like that too. Ausome.

Yea, thats also a good point Zenmoto, about the bike getting blowen around. When Im fangen along the highway on my way to Perth on my XR, if a road train goes past with a head wind, I realy gotta hold on tight! Just about get blowen off the road. And also just when its windy, the bikes getten blowen all over the place. And with a taller bike, like the XR is, and with the lower center of gravity, when the wind hits side on, the bottom of the bike gets blowen out from under you. Thats a bit of a barsted. With a more of a solid tourer and lower, that wouldnt happen I spose.

So yes its all very interesting! Ive got a few years yet to decide which bike I'll get, before I can afford it, so theres no hurry.

hxr400, ducati's need to have a valve adjustment every 6,000 miles (they don't always need adjustment, but you have to check), which usually comes out to about $400-500 per service, whereas i believe most other bikes go 12K between valve adjustments. I guess i can't speak for other bikes, but ducati accessories are NOT CHEAP! Now on the upside i've never known a group of motorcycle owners who have loved or had as much fun on their bikes as duc owners! They look and SOUND awesome. :)

Yeah, what Terminal_Preppy said! lol The valve maintenece can be a drag, but they tend to charge you for the 6k mile "service" which includes moer than just chexking the valves, a lot of which is very basic and unnecessary. I have it on good authority that you can ask them to "check the valves only" and they will do it for less than the $400-$500 service.

OTOH, I have a Honda VFR which will roll 87,000 miles next week, and just checked the valves for the first time in over 45K ...they were still dead center of spec! ...absolutly amazing engineering!

Whatever you decide, it's almost impossible to buy a bad bike these days! Enjoy! :)

What about all the other "naked" bikes out now. FZ1 or FZ6, SV650 and 1000, The Kawi ZZR or ZXR whatever they're calling it now. Keeping a Duc up and running will cost you more in a year than any japanese bike in 5. Am I biased against Duc's you ask? Maybe, but I am also "certified" to work on em. Riding the multistrada on the freeway is like strapping a sail to your back in a hurricane. Not fun. They do however wheelie like they were made for that only. Just my two cents worth here.

No no LaneMM, that wasnt your 5 cents worth, that was your $500 worth. Thanks for the info! And everyone else! Its very helpfull to know what others ideas are on the subject!

LaneMM, Thats good to know that its a barsted to ride on the highway, with it being windy. Yea its a tall bike so I spose you'd get blown all over the house! Just like I do on my XR4!

And about the valve adjustment every 6,000 miles, Bugger. :)

But That is nearly 10 thousand kays. So its not THAT bad, but its still a bit of a piss of.

Well with my XR4, Ive never taken it in for a service. I do all the work on it my self. So with big expencive bikes like that, are you alowed to do that? Like if I was to buy the workshop manual for it, and service it and adjust the valves myself? Can you do that? Or does it void the warrenty or its under contract to be serviced by an ortherised dealer? Or what?

Stuff paying some dumb barsted top dollar to do somthing that I can do myself!

What about all the other "naked" bikes out now. FZ1 or FZ6, SV650 and 1000, The Kawi ZZR or ZXR whatever they're calling it now

Well yes what about all those? And the rest! Well I have looked at all them, but the multistrada is the one that suits my riding style the most. But you know, If I found the Duc to but too expencive or what ever, I would probly get a Honda VTR1000 Firestorm. Gotta love the Veetwin!

Well thanks for al the info youse guys! Keep it comen if there's anything more!

:)

If you're digging the V-Twin, you should try to test rride an Aprilia Falco or Tuono. Fairly bulletproof Rotax motors, and very comfy. I really dig them, especially the Tuono. :)

Buy the Multistrada! You'll love it. The wind won't be an issue if you're used to the XR4. I ride an ST2 and I've had Ducs for years. The Multistrada is my next bike for sure. Corbin makes a good aftermarket seat and you can do the valve adjustments yourself if you're any good with a wrench. The MS produces more usable power throughout the range (where you actually do your riding) than any Japanese bike. No shifting needed to pass those three cars in front of you. :) It's a little expensive yeah, but a bargain for a 2-wheeled Ferrari. Just go ride one. You'll buy it that day and won't care if you have to sell your home to do it!! :)

Ha oh cool sjdunlap!:)

Thanks for that! yea thats exactly what I thought! Im used to the XR4, so the wind wond bothere me and I want a big bike thats similar in handeling but a tourer. It sounds like an ausome bike all round from all the stuff Ive heard heard and read about it!

Yep, its definatly the one I want next! The Red one with black rims! Yea that would be ausome!

And yes I am good with a wrench, So I could do that little bit of work and servicing myself!

Thanks mate! Have Fun! :)

The Multi is a really fun bike for sure. I attended the US intro bash by Ducati

in SoCal over a year ago. Spent a day on the thing. Excellent brakes and

handling, less good in city riding, but the brakes are amazing and the little

air cooled motor should be the most reliable Ducati has come up with yet.

Acccording to Minoli, (CEO, Ducati AG) who spoke to us Journos at the launch, Ducati really want to broaden there market beyond pure race bikes and the Monster. (2 of which I've long termed). The new DS (dual spark) motor will require less maintenance and at a longer interval than any previous Ducati.The seat was a joke, but thats been fixed in '05. They've had a few minor teething problems but overall a good bike.

Would I reccomend it? Of course not. Its an overpriced piece of Italian

high fashion race hardware. IMO, the value is just not there for a bike

you intend the ride the crap out of.

Buy a Suzuki DL650 Vstrom for half the price, nearly zero maintenance

and stone axe reliability. It will do it all. Trust me on this. It may even

give the Strada a run on the race track. Its that good. Cheap and

cheerful. A no-brainer really. :)

Cool thanks for your input 54321!

:)

I'll take that into consideration. Yes it is damn expencive isnt it.