Sign in to follow this  

Metabolism???

While at the doctor's office the other day, I noticed an ad that claims they can test the rate at which your body metabolizes calories, etc. Is this possible? What if your metabolism doesn't burn efficiently? Is there over the counter or prescriptions that can increase the amount of which your body burns? :)

I've never heard of the test, but then again I rarely go to the doctors office :) Anyways, the theory behind all of the OTC supplements like Trim Spa, Xenadrine EFX, etc... is that they do raise your metabolism.

Yes they raise your metabolism by increasing heart rate and core temperature. Neither of which are good if you're not doing something to cause it.

I would stay away from any "Magic" pill kinda thing. The best thing I think would be exercise 4 to 5 times a week and eat 5 to six small meals a day instead of 2 to 3 larger meals. That will get your metabolism up. :)

Thanks for all the suggestions. I was already skeptical about metabolism increasing drugs for a few reasons but the most important one is that I have heart palpatations and wouldn't want anything to increase my heart rate non naturally.

I think the main thing will be 1. increasing water. 2. decreasing calories. 3. keeping up with my workout program at the gym.

Kim

They do have a way to see how many calories you burn at rest. But the results are with-in 15%. So it is not to accuret. You cannot really go buy that or the BMI calculaters, they are never really acuret or simulate real world conditions.

So the best way to do it, is by the seat of your pants. Also you can get thermogenics which claim to help burn fat, and there are some that work quite well. For instance "Hot rox"

Good luck1 :)

Smoke some weed. That will increase your metabolism.

I thought that it slowed your metabolism down. :p:):)

I have had my RMR tested. The device they used was called a BodyGem.

When I took the test they sat me in a closed room for a while (in the ealry morning) to relax then they bring in this small handheld machine and they plug your nose completely and then you breathe into the BodyGem for 15-20 minutes and it figures out your Resting Metabolic Rate (RMR).

heres a few links:

http://www.naturessunshine.com/products/weightloss/step1.asp

http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/news/health/wabc_oncall_092503metabolism.html

and the website to the company:

http://www.healthetech.com/