Sign in to follow this  

Lacing A Wheel???

Hi I want to take my wheels off my bike and get them powdercoated along with the hubs. I was wondering how hard is it to get the spokes back in right? and if i should just take it to a shop? how much would that run me? thanks

Before you take the rim off, put zip ties around each pair of spokes where they cross each other.

Then take all the nipples off, and then just slide the rim off the spokes.

This way, you don't have to relace from scratch.

(Obviously, this method won't work if you want to get the hubs PC'ed also.)

When you get the rim back on, you'll then be faced with the task of trueing the wheel.

What I do is put the completed wheel back on the bike without the tire.

Take a short piece of PVC pipe and tape it to the forks, or subframe, with it just barely above the rim.

Make a couple of reference marks on the pipe directly above where the two sides of the rim reside.

You can then spin the wheel and make adjustments as needed to the spokes to get everything lined up and centered.

It's really not as difficult as it might sound.

And you've just saved yourself $100.00!

:)

After all the work anodizing the rims and powdercoating the hubs or anodizing the hubs, you might want to opt for some stainless steel replacement spokes and nipples. Then some chrome skulls for tire caps too. No, sorry, seriously, blinged out rims and old spokes might not get you the look you want. New stainless spokes would bring everything together. (just a thought) (excel rims, hubs, bucannan stainless spokes, new bearings, and skull tire caps.) :)

get the rim anodised, it will look better and wont chip away. get the hub powder coated.

yeah powdercoating shouldnt be done on mx wheels it will chip away from the pressure washer and they get scratches in them easier.