Sign in to follow this  

Would anyone buy old school dual sports?

After seeing this pic of two Honda XL600's in the picture section, I thought about how I would love to have an old school DS, older than my 1990 DR650 (bottom pic).

I'm curious if anyone else would still buy 1980's tech if Honda, Suzuki, Kawasaki, and Yamaha offered them? :)

I know I would.

PICT0004.jpg

locomplake2.jpg

Why would anyone want to buy that stuff. The first pic reminds me of a 1983 XL250 I once owned. No suspension, little power. The only thing to love is the simplicity and durability of those air-cooled engines.

mine only has about 7000 miles on it, cant really ask for much newer. I personaly would rather buy something with the older technology rather than all of the new stuff i dont know how to fix yet.

imo that is a great looking 1990 dr650. wow. those xl600's look nice too. i would buy one but they are what they are. i would like one cheap.

I had a 1974 DT-1 Yamaha 250 "Enduro". Great machine! Actually more comfortable for long days in the saddle than the rotten seat on my DRZ400s. The DRZ is certainly a better bike, but I do miss the DT-1. Had a 1970 Honda 350, I think they called it a motosport, Not too bad on the street, but horrible in the dirt.

The only thing to love is the simplicity and durability of those air-cooled engines.

That's what I'm talking about. :)

Plus the old tooling would make them cheaper than some high tech machine that some of us don't want or need. They have a certain look and charm that the new bikes just don't have.

The joy in old bikes is the fact that you can ride almost for free and play around with stuff you couldn't afford back in the day. If they sold old tech at what it would cost to make them now - no I would not buy one. But for $500 on the used bike market - well I just did.

My buddy just picked up a 1983 XT550 Yamaha. Damn nice bike for trail riding. The seat is soft as a couch. Sure it's not a motocross bike you're gonna doo triple jumps on, But for puttin some miles on the trail chasing the kids on their PW80's it's great. We're now looking to pick up a 1990 XR250L dual sport bike.

Those were the days.......... I remember when I was a kid, my day had a 1979 XL500,twin FOX SHOXs,Lectron carb,Supertrapp and a Gunnar Gasser with a Terraflex on the back of it. That was one trick bike.

He said I could ride it if I could start it, I tried for a couple of years and then one day( I think I was 11 or 12), I finally mastered the "Honda Drill" standing on top of a milk crate. Off I went and even thoughI could not touch the ground! We lived out in the sticks at the time and I was able to get that BRP up to 85mph on the dirt road that led to our house. I remember it had a round speedometer with a cracked glass lens on it. That was the fastest I had ever been as my poor little YZ80 could only muster around 60-65mph.

I think that was around the time Al Baker started racing one for Honda and then the XR series was born.

That was a fond memory that started my obsession of speed that continues to this day.

Would I buy one today? Maybe just to play around on, for nostalgia. The modern bike are so much better.

Does anybody remember how to jet a RFVCC twin carb?

Does anybody remember how to jet a RFVCC twin carb?

No, I always had Yamahas. But I am learning. :)

Here is one I sold last year, my 1987 XT350. I loved that bike but I never rode it anymore. I decided to sell it to someone who would enjoy it. It only had 5800 miles when I sold it on eBay. I had 99 eBay members put it on their watch list and I wound up selling it for way more than anticipated. Luckily, I did not put a buy it now on the auction. It just kept getting bid up. There is a huge market for these old school thumpers.

Image006.jpg

[/img]Image021.jpg

Wow, that XT350 looks great. :) I bought one the first year they came out which was 1985. Those bikes could wheelie like no other. Perfect balance, and it just cruised the wheelies. Had great top end too. The only lame part was the suspension. It would loose all control in deep sand swapping back and forth. I sold it in mint condition to a guy who destroyed it on his first off road ride.

The damage, a cracked main tube under the tank, two flat tires, a dented tank on both sides reducing the tank from a 3.2 to about 2.2 gallons, then, for the finale, a tossed chain and a hole right in the case. :) So he had it and it looked nice for about 2 hours before we went out. :p

Nice looking xt350. I like the old bikes. they are what they are. obviously you can't mx them well or win harescrambles much but they are alot of fun. alot of them are the bikes that i could not afford when i was young. for less than the price of a newer bike they are great.

If you are talking about Hondas, well not much has changed on the Dual Sport bikes. Disc brakes and a little bigger engine and not much else. OH I'm sorry the colors have changed too. I own a 94' XR650L, it has not changed since it's introduction in 1991. You can still but the same design in 2005.

Yea I would buy an older used bike but not a new bike of old design. Thats why I have not bought a new XR650L. It is the same as mine just a different color.

Ray

Ive got a 86 xt600 i had it for 2 years and was great bike for what it is. great for running around town and low speed trail riding. i took it on numerous 125mile day trips and it was great for that kind of stuff. but get that thing in tight trails and it becomes a pretty good work out. as I got used to the size of the bike and was able to go faster in the trails I had a problem with breaking spokes on the rear wheel :) i guess it just was not designed for that kind of use. but a great adventure bike for low speed trail riding. and yes they are very hard to come by in good shape. as with most bike older than 5 years old. i am going to ebay mine this spring and i am sure i will get what i paid for it locally. personally i wouldn't buy anything that does not have single shock suspension or front disc brakes.

I had a craving for a Transalp for a few years. But I had a NT650GT (Hawk GT) with a 650 twin so it was always redundent for me. Liked that Yamaha TDR850 too. Think KTM got it right with their's? ( I do)

That brings back memories,when I first moved to Las Vegas (1988) I bought a used 1986 XL600R (white with blue seat and red engine) to go along with my 1985 VF500F Intercepter,well that XL600R was such a fun bike I sold the Intercepter and rode the XL everywhere. After I removed the backfire screen,went up on the main jets, filed and opened the pilot screw I could pin it on the street in second and walk the front end right up to the ballance point and just ride it as far as I wanted ( Im no wheelie king) ive never been able to ride them like that on any other bike not even my Duke II. I finally sold it at about 15000 miles and bought a new 1990 KLR650. :)