Sign in to follow this  

which clamps for 04, 22 or 20mm offset?

I ordering triple clamps for my 04 crf 250r and I want a different offset because I hear it eliminates the push problem. The clamps are made by Applied and are 22mm offset, are these ok for the 04 crf or do I need the 20mm clamps? I only see the 22mm clamps on there website.

I beleive the 04 would use the 20mm and the 05 would benefit from the 22mm. I am not positive on the 04 but I am positive that honda changed the geometry by 2mm for 05 and MXA recomended using the 22mm. This is what I read there and on TT. Can anyone verify this for me? :)

That's correct. The choice of which offset depends on what you want. If your

front-end is pushing there can be other solutions besides changing the offset.

Is your sag set correctly, choice of front tire, how far forward you run your rear tire.

Fastway makes a link that gives you several options that can help.

Me I ride alot of very tight single track and I need the bike to be a little twitchy. I run

the 20mm offset on my 05. I will say, this is not for everyone.

im running 22's on my 04 and they work great. However, I do know a lot of other pro's that ran 20's.

im running 22's on my 04 and they work great. However, I do know a lot of other pro's that ran 20's.[/quote

Is it a noticeable difference in handling with the 22mm clamps? I have been struggling for awhile with this bike pushing and wandering on me. I feel like I have to sit too far up on the tank in order to get it to turn and corner sometimes. I talked with the guy who does my suspension work and he told me to try messing with the sag and fork height, and I did, but it didn't do much to help.

22's on the 04 and 20's on the 05. And for the guy who said its all about rider preferance and what not, that couldn't be further from the truth.

I know what your talking about with the stocks on the 04 pushing and turning like crap. The 22's helped out a lot and i noticed it right away. Try to find someone with the offsets and ride their bike. But just so you know, you couldnt go worng with the 22's. Its what i have been running and i can turn pretty well with them.

Cory, maybe you meant 20mm for the 04 and 22mm for the 05. Otherwise you would

have a 4mm different offset between the 2.

It is rider preference. There's a HUGE difference in how you want the front end

to handle based on what you ride (tight woods, GNCC type woods, MX/SX, Desert, etc.)

My bike works great in tight woods, but get me in an open sandy section and it's a

tad bit scary!

OK Tim your right, I didn't know you rode tight woods and gncc and that kind of stuff, I was saying specifically for motocross.

22's on the 04 and 20's on the 05. And for the guy who said its all about rider preferance and what not, that couldn't be further from the truth.

For 05 they changed the offset at the axle two mm. less. So why would you make the off set 22 on an 04, but 18 on an 05? It is the other way around I believe.

Buttercup, do you ride mx or off-road? I am pretty much all mx, and some sx, very little woods riding.

Are any of you guys using the Applied brand clamps? If so, can you use your stock Honda steering stem or do you have to buy a new Applied stem too?

For 05 they changed the offset at the axle two mm. less. So why would you make the off set 22 on an 04, but 18 on an 05? It is the other way around I believe.

Yes your probably right, I have it written down somewhere because it is a little confusing.

Are any of you guys using the Applied brand clamps? If so, can you use your stock Honda steering stem or do you have to buy a new Applied stem too?

I have Applied clamps and you can use your stock stem. Just press is out and while its out dont forget to repack the bottom bearing with grease! Then press it into the new one. I love my clamps!