[[Template core/global/plugins/realFaviconGenerator does not exist. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]] Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  

Rear brake pedal pivot bolt snapped

Yesterday while riding in the desert I began to have a sensation that my rear brake wasn't working, no resistance, I pushed on it, but nothing. I looked down and my lever was hanging by the spring.

Closer inspection revealed that the pivot bolt had snapped in half just about an 1/8 of an inch inside the threaded hole in the frame.

First off, what may have caused this?

Second, how in the hell am I going to get the rest of the bolt out of the frame without damaging the threads or the frame?

Service Honda shows the part number as 46513-KZ4-J20

ben

i would get an easy out... drill whats left of the stud with a very small drill bit. making sure not to hit the threads. then use the easy out and it should come out. or take the easy route and take it to a local garage. they should have no problem getting a broken bolt out.

I would use the easy out as suggested above. Put a little heat on it just before you try the easy out. It will do two things, break down any locktite on the threads and expand the Aluminum frame more than the steel bolt. It will come out easier that way.

I've almost had this happen. My back brake bolt likes to sneak loose. I just thought they overheated but it was the bolt loose which makes the brake have no pressure. Got to keep an eye on that thing! :)

I think it may be my fault. I may have over tightened it. But the last time I had it off was months ago.

ben

The way it was hanging made me initially think I hit something. It is possible because we were riding some water/mud filled ruts with some serious lean angle. Anything could have been under the water/mud. Plus, we were really moving through some sections.

ben

I had this happen on two different Hondas in the past. I just used a punch to start a hole and then slowly used bigger and bigger drill bits to start a pilot hole. Eventually you can get a small screwdriver in there and turn it out. Be VERY careful of the threads. I don't know what an easyout is but it may be worth a try if you don't have a steady hand.

The easy way to me is to buy a set of reverse drill bits,and a reversable drill motor which most for the last several years are.The reverse drill bits are just that instead of being turned clockwise to cut material they are turned counterclock wise,once they start to cut into the material they naturally turn the broken bolt out.Snap on and probably craftsman sell these as well as many others,cheers