Sign in to follow this  

Spring break trip..where to ride?

So the family will be going on our first ever spring break trip.. Loading up bikes and gear in a toy hauler, and off we go. Ride areas have to be family friendly,, class c/b stuff to what every it can offer, if I have a riding partner to go play. (last time I picked one in a parking lot, it was a disaster)

We want to head to Monterey,,, and visit some places important to us.. So I thought of Hollister... What else should we consider ?We will leave Mid state OR head south on I-5 and are open from there.

Suggestions?

Thanks in advance :)

Hollister for sure, clear creek for sure, its only about an hour and a half from hollister, and I would suggest continuing south to bakersfield go east and hit spangler/ jawbone/ dove springs in the high desert. Sound like a good trip to me. Mike in Modesto

Hollister sounds like your place for this trip. It would be great for you to see and ride Clear Creek too, but that place is well not so ...... family camp a roo friendly and the trails are mostly advanced C to AA

If you come to Spangler or Jawbone, let me know. We'll show you around.

Jimbo

If you come to Spangler or Jawbone, let me know. We'll show you around.

Jimbo

Forgive my ignorance.. But can you put a pin on a map for those two places :) City reference to LAT LON, or 8 digit grid will work. :p Thanks :)

Pozo La Panza (35 miles of trails) is a good time in the Northern los Padres Nat. Forest. There is a big staging area, similar to Hollister for the kids. Allowing the older kids to have access to fun trails. :) Hollister is a good time during the week. They moto occasionally @ (Laguna Seca) Monterey. They have camping there or on the beach in Seaside. Del Monte Express for a big burger(Off DelMonteHwY) BiRite deli for great sandwiches.

OOPS From Monterey South 101 to San Luis Obispo County To 58 East.

Gotta at least consider stonyford, though it is north sacramento. Might be able to hit it on your way down or back.

Forgive my ignorance.. But can you put a pin on a map for those two places :p City reference to LAT LON, or 8 digit grid will work. :) Thanks :)

I live in Ridgecrest. Spangler is practically out my back door and Jawbone is about 30 miles SW.

Jimbo

no one has mentioned Foresthill, site of the annual WCTT ride in late may. If you are coming down in april, that is perfect timing for some great family camping and lots of nice trail riding in the beautiful sierras about 1.5 hours east of Sacramento.

this site has CA OHV areas

http://bokasmo.com/pages/ohv/california/foresthl/index.html

If on the 101 in NorCal stop at S.Cow Mtn., Willits, CA. You will need to do your own research on accommodations.

If on I-5 in NorCal you have Shasta/Chappie (Lake Shasta, CA).

Stonyford west of Willows, CA. Stonyford is free camping and trails/roads for all ages. If you have a truck (place to haul bikes w/o TT. you can camp at Stonygorge resevoir (free) and drive up tot the staging area at Stonyford (Wolf Creek)about 20 minutes away.

Hollister and Carnegie near the Bay Area (Will probably drive right past one of these on your way to Monterey).

If you want a 1/2 day ride/break you can pull into Black Butte OHV(small area with small hills and little whoops/tracks etc...). 10 miles west of I-5 outside of Orland, CA. This is a place to practice or let the kids go where you can see almost the whole place from one spot. There is camping right next to it, but it costs, but it is at a lake.

Personally, I'd head east and go to Utah. Moab in particular. Unbelieveable riding. As a matter of fact, that's where we're going for spring brake! Can't wait. :):):p

For just west of Sacramento, I would recommend both Georgetown (Rock Creek) and Foresthill, then there is Carnegie just west of Tracy if you want practice hillclimbing, then you have Hollister and Clear creek which are both in the Monterey area.

When are you planning on coming out here?

I live in Ridgecrest. Spangler is practically out my back door and Jawbone is about 30 miles SW.

Jimbo

He's NOT kidding,the hi desert IS his back yard.

Another vote for Jawbone/Spangler/Randsburg :)

Jawbone is one of those places you have to ride at least once in your life, and if your going to do a trip south might as well make it a desert trip. Jawbone has something for everyone, you can take a ride and in a matter of 1/2 hour you go from desert to grassland to Sequoias in the Piute mountains. Trails go from the most basic to a pucker factor of 20. Pm me if you head down this way and we could go ride!! :)

no one has mentioned Foresthill, site of the annual WCTT ride in late may. If you are coming down in april, that is perfect timing for some great family camping and lots of nice trail riding in the beautiful sierras about 1.5 hours east of Sacramento.

this site has CA OHV areas

http://bokasmo.com/pages/ohv/california/foresthl/index.html

Thanks Bob,, dates are last week in March,, so just a few weeks away. Overall we want to play,, so days spent driving to ride are a no go. We will leave town on a sat night 19 Mar.. have to be back in OR 27 Mar. Thinking of heading straight for Monterey.. doing so family stuff,, then hitting Hollister.. or????? Other riding areas close,, or in route back to mid state OR are what I'm looking at.

Thanks.

Hey bronc, my "home" place so to speak is carnegie and Ive been there too many times to remember but would not recommend it for you. Its ok if its a little wet, but a little too much rain makes the bigger trails impassable and they close them. If its dry it gets dusty as hell. But if you dont mind a few near miss head on collisions or getting T-boned by some punk cross jumping main trails then give it a try. Having said all this I'll probably be back there this weekend or next for sure, I think my sons racing a hare scramble there. But believe me its because im close. Oh ya, the rangers. real Barney fifes there, you just better hope they cant find the "one" bullet. There have been some good choices for you posted here. My advise is not to skip spangler hills no matter what. Mike in Modesto PS after clear creek, hollister, head south to bakersfield, east to hwy 14, north to jawbone, dove springs, and spangler. when you ready to head back just continue north on hwy 395 making a big circle back towards home. Ya I got it all figured out.

Since you got the toy hauler i would definately hit up clear creek. its not he best "family camping" but is a blast to ride.