Sign in to follow this  

Dr D Q insert

Anyone use or been around someones bike with the Dr D Quiet insert in a Dr D pipe? Just curious how quiet those lil bugg'rs are. I want to do some woods riding, the Dr D on the track is fine but in the woods it just too much. I was going to buy a FMF Q but, if the insert works I'll go with it.

I will have to have sound checks for races so I want to make sure it'll pass.

I just bought one from the TT store very recently (super quick delivery on this part :) ) but haven't yet tested it. The engine is in pieces right now and I'm awaiting some parts, but I look forward to firing it up and hearing the difference. Hopefully there's not too big of loss powerwise, but the tip isn't nearly as restrictive as the stock WR tip.

steve, i dont know how i missed that thread.

the stock yzf idles at about 99-100db. with the dr. d quiet core insert it idles at around 96db on a 250f.

doug

'04 yz250f

I sought the same info:

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=223731

Couldn't seem to find anyone adept to answer the question. I still stare at my DR D. insert everyday, just wondering.............

Do you really think it's that loud in the woods. I didn't know if I'm getting used to mine, but everyone else sounds louder than me. :)

The insert worked well enough to get me past the Forestry Service guys up in Michigan. They have a sound limit <= 96 dB's. I didn't notice much of a performance difference when I used it. Does this answer you question?

Doug, Jason,

Thank you. Now moving forward......How much of a difference is 99db to 96db? Other than instruments, can you tell the difference.

I think right now, of the guys I ride with, I'm the quietest in the bunch (no insert yet)......we don't race, and we "know" all the EPO's that might give others tickets for similar infractions, it's a fraternal thing.......Do I stay as is, or does my pc side quite it down????

Thanks again guys,

Steve

on a side note, I have the full Dr D system.......change anything??

The insert worked well enough to get me past the Forestry Service guys up in Michigan. They have a sound limit <= 96 dB's. I didn't notice much of a performance difference when I used it. Does this answer you question?

:)Thanks!

PC side :)

As far as 99dB's or 96dB's is concerend, it's quieter, did the difference make me fall over in amazement... No, but it was quieter.

Personally, I don't use mine if I don't have to, it doesn't make sense... I ride 90% of the time on private grounds so I leave my exhaust open.

If you don't have to use it don't use it. But if you're going to ride on public lands and the DNR requires a spark arrestor and 96dB's then you either use it and ride or don't.

PC side :) QUOTE]

Pol. correctness....

if "we TT'rs" feel our bikes are going to shut land down for you, because of noise.........I can always tell when my buds are out riding, because I can hear then, 2-3 miles away......but I also live 1 mile from the higway too, so noise isn't really an issue around the neighborhood. Plus we got about 9 MX'rs in the neighborhood too. Although that doesn't preclude the my fellow brothers from showiing up, just to keep the young ones in check (2 smokers)....

MXOldtimer, you looking to buy an insert, or do you already have one?? I really don't think I'm gonna use mine, and it's brand new.....

Michigan is 94db. Cool you passed tho. Did you ever get a number?

I didn't stand around and chit chat, once I heard that I was good I was gone!

PC side :) QUOTE]

MXOldtimer, you looking to buy an insert, or do you already have one?? I really don't think I'm gonna use mine, and it's brand new.....

Yes I'll be getting one in the next couple months (no hurry). My Dr D is the old round pipe, don't know if that makes any difference. E-mail me a price.

MXOldtimer@aol.com

I have one. Since I ride exclusively woods I wanted to go as quiet as I could with the Dr. D pipe. With or without the insert the bike kicks butt compared to the stock pipe. IMHO the performance of the pipe is so damn good I didn't even consider not using the insert. Just my 2c

The round DR.D pipe is not to loud when new I think I tested like 98 (without silencer) or something but the packing wears quickly. I did not like the insert much I thought it sounded like crap and did not perform as good as the stock unit.I use the DR.D header with the stock muffler.