Sign in to follow this  

MX tracks and the people who ride them?

I have a question for you guy's who ride mx track's? I have been riding bikes for over 25 years, and never raced on a track (sad I know), I used to do some desert racing when I lived in so-cal, and have rode allot of trails both there and here (washington), I have rode allot of "home made" tracks, and have done a few practice laps on a few tracks just for fun. I don't go to the 20.00$ ride on a track day, now because well...I am old and too scared to get hurt (bills to pay you know). I do however know some people (friends and family) that are talking about going to the track to ride for the day, none of them are in my opinion even up to beginner status with their bikes. They just bought them, and have ridden a handfull of times at the most, with really no skills other than starting and stopping without falling over (and not always that), none of them have any desire to race, or to even better themselves (I have talked to them about this), but they want to "grace" track day with their TTR230's (not a slam on the TTR), my question is...How do you track riders feel about people with no experience on your track, isn't there a possibility for them to injure themselves or others, or do you not really care one way or the other?

It doesn't bother me as long as they know the basics of track etiquette. If they hold their line and they don't jump on the track in front of me without looking, then everything is hunky dory. I'm always nervous that a newby will be crashed-out on a blind landing, but otherwise, no worries. Honestly, I have bigger problems with experienced goons than I do with true beginners.

As long as you stay out of there way it won't be a problem. What I mean by that is simply this. If you are coming up to a jump section and you now a fast rider is behind you, don't take the line that they are using to jump. It will be easy to see because it will be well worn. Every were else just hold your line and they will pass you. :)

Go and have fun. Just because someone may not a expert rider dosn't mean they can't ride on a MX track.

I didn't mean to implythat they didn't have a right to be there, I was just wondering how you guy's felt about people with no idea what they are doing ridding a track, maybe a better question is: Should you have to take a track etiquette, or safety class before you can ride on a track?

If they don't cause problems its' fine.

Sit them down and have a talk about double/triple jumps and how to stay out of peoples way. At Redbud they have open practice on the pro track quite often. There is a good sized double/double in the lower infield that is usually the cause of all the trouble. In the B/C classes there is usually a lot of carnage there cause people don't move when someone is behind them doing the jump. :p:):)

its fine that they track ride as long as they know what they're doing out there. they need to be aware that they shoudl keep to the right and look back going into corners to make sure they're not taking someone's line out. thats what gets people heated, when beginners dont know what they're doing and are all over the track. so as long as they know the rules it should be ok.

doug

'04 yz250f

At the track we go to, the practice sessions are sometimes divided into groups. If your track does this, you can go in the big bike beginner group, but watch out for yourself. Sometimes the beginners think they are way better than they really are and they will crash into you! Otherwise there should be room on a track to keep out of the way of the fast riders.