Sign in to follow this  

Starting an '04 250F

Please bear with me. I'm sure this has been covered a bunch of times. If you don't want to help me out, that's cool. Just don't chastise me for asking a question that's been answered before, because I obviously can't find the answer....

Okay I read the manual and got advice from fellow thumper owners The first day I brought the bike home and a couple times since then I started the bike cold on the 2nd or 3rd kick.

But I am now having trouble. So I came here and read the FAQ's. I'm a little confused about the "drill" and if I'm doing something wrong or forgetting something.

First, I turn on the gas and pull out the choke. I keep my hand off the throttle. Then I kick slowly until I get the noticeable resistance of the compression. Then I let the kick start lever ratchet back up to the top and drive it firmly through until it hits the back of the foot peg. I have NOT been moving it past the compression stroke before my "start" kick. Now as I'm typing this, I guess it might make sense to do that as you're closer to the intake stroke if you move past the compression stroke. I have also not been giving it a couple "blips" prior to kicking. That seems to be controversial and I suspect unnecessary at best and detrimental at worst.

I'm frustrated that I'm having so much trouble after my initial success. I think it may be because the bike had been warm before (relatively, because it had been in the showroom, then in my heated garage) and now it's been in an unheated garage (35 degrees F) on subsequent attempts.

On the plus side, not only do I have an awesome new bike but I've discovered a great aerobic exercise for my lungs and right leg...whew....I used to be in better shape than this!

So....any words of wisdom for a newbie? Thanks! :)

OK, I'll take a shot at this one. :)

1. The '04 doesn't require the starting drill the earlier models did. It has a auto decompression exhaust cam which automatically bleeds off cylinder presure making it easy to kick thru. However, when starting cold(overnight) I would give the Throttle at least three full twists and pull the choke. If already warm then no throttle twists, no choke, may even need to pull hot start if bike is hot and/or flooded from a fall.

2. Starting your bike at 35 degree will pose a lean condition and subsequence starting problem. You should consider richening your jetting, pilot, needle, and main jet. The starting problem will be most effected by the too lean pilot at that temperature.

3. Be sure your air filter is clean and you may want to check/replace the spark plug. Cleaning the carb occassionally is also a good idea.

Enjoy the bike they are awesome! hope that helped... - John

When its cold here (50 degrees not 35) I find that bliping the throttle twice before kicking really helps. I don't bother finding TDC, I just pull choke, blip throttle a couple times and start kicking. When my bike is warm, starts 1 kick, cold maybe 3-5. If I don't blip the throttle a couple times first, I'm kicking foreever.

Willie, I also have a 2004 YZF-250 which starts like yours. All I know is that it always takes 2-3 kicks to get it to start initially, then it immediately dies before I can rev it. I then kick once more and it starts running as normal.

I blip once and pull the choke, I also find the TDC but apparently that is a waste of time I guess.

My bike does sit alot, I start it once a week but I have not ridden it in awhile.

One thing I notice though, maybe others have as well, but do you hear clicking sounds from the engine? Tick, tick, tick, tick... My bike has less than 5 hours total time on it, so I doubt anything is worn out and I am too new to the sport to know if every bike sounds like this or not.

I have an 04 bike.

To start, I lean the bike over to the right for a second, stand it up, turn the kicker to the top and kick hard. It **always** goes first time.

If it does not start cold first time, then your jetting/settings are off.

Also, a decent aftermarket CDI and plug helps a lot. The yamaha parts are OK, but not great.

if i take my bike out and i havn't started it in a while (usually a week), i'll blip the throttle once or twice to prime the accelerator pump. then i turn the choke on and kick, usually fires up in 1-3 kicks.

doug

'04 yz250f

Thanks all. Sounds like I need to blip the throttle. This would be consistent with starting my Harley, which also has an accelerator (sp) pump. Pull the choke, blip it 2 or 3 times and it starts right up. Just scared off by all the "DON'T TOUCH THE THROTTLE!!!" advice I've read/heard. I'm going to try it tonight when I get home. I'm sure that's it.

Just to respond to a couple questions and comments....I don't usually ride at this temperature, so re-jetting will be evaluated when riding season gets here. I just bought the bike and picked it up Saturday. Rode around the yard once and put it away.... :) Since it's new, I know the air filters clean, plug is okay, etc. For that same reason (it's a new bike), I can't respond intelligently about "ticking noises". Sorry.

As far as jetting, setting the suspension up, etc. I still have a bunch of stuff to "study". I always set up and tweak my bikes and work on them myself. I noticed that there are a couple jets that came loose with the bike. Not sure if it's a couple different mains, or a main and a pilot or what. I haven't looked at them closely enough. Okay, okay...I didn't have my Wal-Mart reading glasses with me when I picked up the bike and I could not make out the numbers on the jets! Satisfied? Sheesh.

Thanks again. As you see from my babbling, I am totally psyched about the bike! Yee ha!

Thanks all. Sounds like I need to blip the throttle. This would be consistent with starting my Harley, which also has an accelerator (sp) pump. Pull the choke, blip it 2 or 3 times and it starts right up. Just scared off by all the "DON'T TOUCH THE THROTTLE!!!" advice I've read/heard.

you should never touch the throttle when the bike is hot, only when cold and has been sitting a day or more.

doug

'04 yz250f

Yeah, gotcha. I understood that, just didn't come through in the response. Gotta get the bugger running cold first. lol. Thanks again.