Sign in to follow this  

Ocotillo Wells Storm pics

I can just imagine how much the California desert is getting re-shaped! There are trails here in AZ that are forever changed! The back way to Crown King is now impassible to 4 wheels for a long time till someone gets in there with heavy machinery. My buddy Johnny and I made it through last week physically and mentally exhausted. Normally a 1.5 hour trail turned into 6 long wet hours.

Great pics, thanks for sharing! :)

Everything looks soo GREEN! I was out there a week after the last storm that passed through and it was absolutly amazing. The terrain was all different, everything was alive, and there wasn't a soul in sight.

We cancelled our trip to Ocotillo because of the rain :) Anyway, your picture shows a beautiful day, how was the desert? Was it totally mudddy, rained out or what? I got a call from my uncle (he was near superstition that same weekend) and he said it was muddy and rainy but they went riding anyway. You go any other pics?

posted a few more from this last weekend. the storms of this winter are making for a fantastic spring in our so cal deserts! if you have not made a trip lately, plan one in the next month or two. the desert is already showing signs of an epic wildflower display. even dirt hogs can enjoy the beauty of a colorful desert

Spent the weekend on the 111 side over near Niland. Rain only ruined riding on Monday... got three nice rides Friday, Saturday, and Sunday.

We had rain Friday early AM, but the whole day was beautiful.

Similar for Saturday, except there was some light rain in the morning.

It rained pretty hard Sunday morning, then let up for a few hours. We got some drizzle during the ride but it wasn't bad at all.

Monday it rained lightly off and on through the day. We headed out around 4, but only made it 5 miles before deciding that the normally nice dirt road was just a little too slick, and the trail would be even worse.

If you look at my garage photos you can see what much of it is like in the background. We head up Coachella Canal Road from the campground (just north of Niland) and then head down the washes (away from the canal) looking for trails.

This area is just outside (right on the edge) of the Naval bombing range and the new tortoise closure.

The washes get pretty exciting at times, but we've found one particularly sandy track that's got some high bermed turns and VERY steep "V" drop/inclines... either too sandy or not steep enough on the upslope to make it a 50ft jump, so the only option is to head down slowly, then pin it as soon as the front tire makes contact with the upslope. Really easy to bury the rear going up these (I buried mine twice in three rides).

The recent weather has turned the open plains (including many service/access roads) into major mud/clay playgrounds with huge ruts.

It gets pretty exciting when you're cruising along at 40 and suddenly find your rear tire trying to pass you :)