Sign in to follow this  

Hinson Clutch parts

Just curious if anyone has used Hinson Clutch parts in there CRF yet? I know I abuse the clutch in that little 250, and i kinda want to make it bullet proof

Well allow me to chime in. I just finished putting a Hinson basket in my 250R because I chewed through the stocker like it was made of plastic. The bike still won't "roll" in gear with the clutch pulled in but the shifting is unbelievably smooth. I put the quotes around "roll" because in all honesty, I've never had a bike that would roll easily while in gear. The CRF just seems to be a little more difficult than most bikes I've ridden. This is also the reason they are notoriously difficult to start in gear.

The Hinson basket was around $189.00 from Rockymountainmc.com. The Hinson inner hub was where they seem to try and gouge you. They wanted around $250.00 for that. The stock inner hub is $46.00 from Service Honda. My hub showed no signs of wear, nor did the pressure plate. I replaced them with stock parts anyway and will keep the old ones "just in case".

I went with the Hinson basket because of their "billet proof" reputation and although I only have about 15 minutes on the new clutch, I have a good feeling about it. I'm a clutch abuser so I'll keep everyone apprised of it's ability to withstand my constant abuse.

Hinson basket and pressure plate for a year now with stock hub, discs and plates. No problem!! :) Put one in our '05 right away.

I was thinking of a basket and pressure plate.. What clutch disks did you

use? stock, ebc?

I went with the stock disks only because I couldn't find a set any cheaper. I really wanted to try the Tusk Off-road disks that sell for $30 but Rockymountain is the ONLY distributor and they've been out of stock for what seems like months now. Looks like mid-March until they get some in.

If I could offer any advice it would be to go with stiffer springs. My clutch chattered like hell stock and in the 15 minutes I've ridden it with the Hinson basket and heavy duty EBC springs, I can tell a noticable difference in chatter. Chatter is what killed my stock basket (see pics below).

Clutch1.jpg

I got the tusk plates for 30.Only rode up and down my street but it seems to hook up great.When i get some time on them i will post.I have 14 months on stock basket still looks new.I ride 2 times a week.I ride my 4 stroke like a 4 stroke and not a 2.I am not a clutch abusier.But if a get a new basket i think i will try the barnett.It comes with new bumpers.polyurathane not rubber.