Sign in to follow this  

Windex

I usually use soapy water but today I tried Windex and it seemed to work better. I felt that while using the hair dryer the Windex evaporated slower and I had more time to work all of the bubbles out and the edges. The only pain are the two dips in the shroud where the graphic splits in three. You have to make sure you have that down in those two valleys before you continue out. I paused here. Next comes that glorious right side plate. :)

IMG_0059.jpg

Mike, the graphics look great on the shroud. Good job. I hate the thought of putting on graphics, especially the right side number plate. I ruined my last set trying to put it on. I got so pissed I threw it in the trash.

Good luck and post some pics when you get it all done. I've been contemplating graphics too but just can't decide what I want. I like my bikes to be "one of a kind" so I figure if I leave it stock, everyone else will get graphics and then my bike will be one of a kind?

I hear you on that one. These are McGrath graphics. I like the shrouds and number plates. I will not be running the fork slider graphics with the MC crown on it. It will be clean looking. I actually got them from the in-laws for Christmas so I will work with them! I'll keep you posted. :)

Looks great man! What exactly do you do? Spray on the windex, put on the graphic/sticker, then what? I'll be putting on my pre printed backrounds soon and I don't want to mess them up!

1. Clean plastics of dirt and grime from old stickers- nail polish remover worked for me

2. Spray plastic and graphic with Windex

3. Place graphic on plastic and position so holes and edges will line up as you press down (this is the hardest part because you are not permanately sticking it down at this point you are just doing spot checks)

4. Choose starting point. For shrouds I started at the front and made sure the two valleys were down befor working back. For the number plates I started up top around the air vents.

5. Using the hair dryer begin the sticking process by heating up an area evaporeating some of the windex and then pressing on it and flattening it using a dry cloth to absorb the windex that comes out- always moving outward.

It takes a while to do a good job. I never used heat before but it allows some stretch while you are flattening the graphics. You really need patience and try not to get frustrated. As long as you go easy and do it one section at a time you will be fine. Some areas hung around without being stuck down for a very long time until I knew it was good to go. I hope this helps! :)

IMG_0060.jpg

Thanks Fred. Man that thing is horrible. When I got the bike in September I threw on some black ones just using water. I goofed it up so bad I put a sticker over one part. I spent 30 min. on that one alone. :)

Mike,

This is kinda funny because I just put my new backgrounds on my number plates yesterday!

I too use window cleaner. But my method is a little different than yours.

I spray the plate with glass cleaner and then with a clean hand I smear it all over making sure the whole plate is covered where the decal is going to be applied. Then starting from the most difficult spot (usually the middle or the big bend in the plastic on the exhaust side) I work the decal out to the edges with a dry clothe. That way when the glass cleaner is pushed out to the edge the clothe will soak it up. I keep doing this until the majority of the decal is sticking to the plastic and then hand work the edges and more intricate areas.

I think it took me about 2-2.5 hours to do my 3 number plates but I was also watching American Chopper! :)

Here's a pic of the finished work.

DSC03978.JPG

Those look VERY clean :) The rag whiping up the windex as you go is key. American Chopper is a good show. It is just great to watchthe fabrication. I could care less for the soap opera but that's show business. I actually went to their shop to check it out. I met Mikey and Cody (one lucky kid). Mikey is funny - his sweatshirt said "Mike Senior" on it. :)

Just so u guys know. DOnt use windex the ammonia in it is bad for the adhesive. Soapy water is the best solution by far. What i did was clean up the plastic with nail polish remover. Then soap and water. heated them up with a hair dryer. And put the graphics in the oven. Make sure the element doesnt get red. And then take off the protective film and spray it down withthe soap and water. work from the center out and vhoila. USe a credit card wrapped in a rag and wipe the solution out. I installed my first seat cover and graphics before xmas. And man oh man did i do a prime job. I was skeptical about the oven trick but it was excellent. Just my 2 cents. Bye for now

Who knew that putting on stickers was this complecating? Hahaha, does anyone else have a backup set of side panels so that when you take a spill during practice you don't have to mess up the expensive and PITA backrounds? I'm thinking about doing this.

I see you have a decal works number plate. I just received mine and I wanted a trim color of red to match my honda. It looks orange. Your picture looks a little orange. Is your red or more to the orange. By the way yours looks great.

Thanks, Fred

Sorry guys i know this is off topic but, thumperwrench89 what did you use to take the paint off your clutch cover, that looks sweet.

This is funny. I was surprisd to see my name under the thread. I am sure there are plenty more posts like this when I started here. ThrottleJockey Weez and the others can attest to that. Thanks for the knowledg guys. A year later I am past windex and into the top end- still a rook. :thumbsup:

Well this may be old but it might just help me out right in the nick of time. I just ordered some preprints, and I have never done any graphics or preprints before, so I was just going to clean off my side panels and stick them on. But my question is to clarify, you put windex on, without wiping it off, then put the preprints on, use the hairdryer and with a credit card wrapped with plastic wrap scrape out all of the windex. And if anybody needs to clarify something that I should know please say, because I would be really pissed if I screwed it up.