Sign in to follow this  

Big ride report

Ok, I went out and thrashed my RMZ this past Saturday. First, some validation on the story and conditions. Four of us in the group, all true "A" riders. One with a less than 50 GNCC number and all the rest class champs in one or more districts in Hare Scramble "A" classes. I had the only 4 stroke, been a stroker racer for 12 years now and have owned them all. Currently leaving a very good KTM 520 elec start for this yellow bike. We started out at 18 degrees on Saturday morning at 1600 ft. everything frozen tight. I installed a set of handguards and an O-Ring chain and that was all. Everything was stock including the tires. We rode for about 7 hours total, elev. from 1600 ft to 2650 ft (according to the GPS) temp from 18 to 38 and back to 27 before we were done. Traveled everything from fire roads to single track to stuff we had to push up and at one time formed a chain to pull up and over. Bike ran flawless. I heated it up twice on the single track hill climbs and it never boiled over. Starting was never an issue. Gearing was super. I thought it would be on the high side but was wrong. The tires actually held up as well, although the rear was worn out at the end of the day. My only complaint, I need to raise the needle up and fatten it up. I dont like it that crisp. I have no hesitation or dead spot off the bottom. I did not touch any suspension settings at all, I am 185 lb. I may turn the rebound a little tighter though two clicks. Some of the stuff was old rocky creekbeds that went up the mountain. Some still had ice and water flowing down them. The bike is super fast, if you need it any faster then you need a new sport as it is scary fast. It started every time no matter what the conditions, no matter what. The most incredible thing though was that I did it all on 87 octane pump gas sold at the local sheetz store. No detonation or pinging whatsoever. At any rate, my 02 KTM is for sale if any one is looking for a good bike to race or dual sport. I just hope this one is as reliable as my KTM. If you have any questions, just ask me.

roy :):):p

One more thing, the power of this bike is simply incredible. It feels like a combination of my 99 Husky combined with the top end of a 450 yamaha. I cannot wait to see a real dyno chart of this bike.

Started right up. Just like starting a big block chevy with no choke.....remember this one......when I start any cold 4 stroke (cold meaning not previously started) pull the choke, twist the throttle once to get some fuel in the cyl. kick, repeat until it starts and idles. Learned this back on the '96 Huskys, they had the pumper carb way back when.