Sign in to follow this  

Riding in the Outer Banks

We are renting a house right on the beach (Ocean Front) in Corolla or Crova. It is in the 4X4 area. I was wondering if there are any places to ride there (Dunes and Beaches) Also can you tell me about this area.

The area called Corolla is the end of the hard surface road. Once you go through the Village of Ocean Hill your next choice is ride the section of sand between the ocean and the first dune to get to Swan Beach and Corova.

In Corolla there is a county satellite office (252-453-8555). It is across the road from Wink's Store, you can't miss it. There you will be able to ask about unlicensed motorcycles on the beach. I know that ATV's require a county permit that must be purchased and displayed at all times.

The area is patrolled by law enforcement in Jeeps and on ATV's. You will not be able to do much cutting up. The warmer it gets the more it is patrolled. You will see a lot of ATV's, I can only remember seeing 2-3 motorcycles up there in the 35 years I have been working in that area.

If you need more information let me know.

When you cross the state line in to NC from Va. on US-168 you will be in a small place called Moyock. Located there is a MX track if you are interested.

Sounds good.

Also wondering how it is down there, beaches and stuff. I also hope to charter a boat to go fishing down there.

If you are talking ocean charter boats then you need to call Oregon Inlet Fishing Center (252-441-6301) as soon as possible. If you wait till you are here, you will be out of luck. They usually take 5-10 people and you leave the dock around 5:30am and get back around 4:30pm.

If you are looking for in-shore Charter, call the same number these boats hold 35-50 people and go out for a half day. They fish the shoals and wrecks.

Locals say if you don't like the weather, give it 10 minutes it will change. The sand this time of year is easy to ride on. No beach traffic and the rain packs it down. Summer time is a different story. No rain, 100's of vehicles and it's like riding in powder. What time of year are you going to be here?

Most shops and restaurants close down in the winter months (screw the locals). By mid to the end of March things are starting to open. By mid April it's wide open until the end of September.