Sign in to follow this  

When to adjust valves on DRZ 400

Does anyone know how often the valves have to be adjusted on a 2003 DRZ 400 Dirt version. I have herd lots of horror stories about the Hondas and the Yamahas 250s and 450s. Thanks....Baz400

Do a "search forum" use "valve clearance or valve maintenace" and it will tell you everything you need to know. And, no the DR-Z does not require the service to valves as some of the other 4-strokes but you should probabaly check clearance at least a couple of times a year. If all is well you will find nothing changes much with the shim-under-bucket design. Some guys in this forum have many thousands of miles on original valves. I just re-shimmed my 2000 "S" at 5200+ miles and it was still in "spec" but was advised to run toward the loose side of the spec. Checking clearance and re-shimming is no big deal...especially if you buy a service manual which should be one of your first "adds" to the bike in my opinion. Good luck... :)

For good measure:

-atleast twice a year

-after break in

-after installing any sort of aftermarket cams

-also get a Manual Cam Chain Tensioner (MCCT) if you don't already have one. How to's are on TT just do a search. Super easy and great protection for the price.

I checked mine after 3 months of use (2200km) and one valve was out of spec. Two others were marginal.

quote * I have herd lots of horror stories about the Hondas and the Yamahas 250s and 450s. *

the DRZ is a modern bike, as comparable to the XR when come to maintenance.

don't worry too much about that.

:)

3or4 times a year should be ok. I don't check as often as burned does because I don't bounce it off the rev limiter like he does. The man is a throttle heavy son of a gun. He can ride good enough to back it up so why not. I'm getting old now and trying to stay alive on the beast he built. It's a blast to ride though. I love that 03 kicker, the best bike I ever owned and it snowed today. What a royal bummer, it's really coming down to. looks like the bike is going to sit for a while now. prairiedawg :p:):)

I didn't check mine until after the first year, I adjusted all 4 as they were on the tight end, 2 were requiring adjustment, the other 2 were at the low end of the spec, but since I was changing cams at the time I did all 4. Once you have done it once you will find it is easy, you just have to take your time and be careful and all will go well. I can now check my valves within 1 hour. :)

Mine was 4 years old but only 1,000 miles when I got it. Rode for another 1500 miles then checked. All in spec. Odd that one report of an almost new 2004 that went out of spec. I think the manual calls for the first check not at the 600 mile service (???) but much after. Weird.

Checking is easy and quick. I doubt it'd take you more than an hour even going very slowly the first time out. No reason to put it off.

Mine was 4 years old but only 1,000 miles when I got it. Rode for another 1500 miles then checked. All in spec. Odd that one report of an almost new 2004 that went out of spec. I think the manual calls for the first check not at the 600 mile service (???) but much after. Weird.

Checking is easy and quick. I doubt it'd take you more than an hour even going very slowly the first time out. No reason to put it off.

The manual doesn't say to check it till 15000 miles. But ya, one of my valves were out and I only had 2200km. It's worth checking them regularly. I just hope my valves don't keep getting tighter on me.

3or4 times a year should be ok. I don't check as often as burned does because I don't bounce it off the rev limiter like he does. The man is a throttle heavy son of a gun. He can ride good enough to back it up so why not. I'm getting old now and trying to stay alive on the beast he built. It's a blast to ride though. I love that 03 kicker, the best bike I ever owned and it snowed today. What a royal bummer, it's really coming down to. looks like the bike is going to sit for a while now. prairiedawg :):p:)

Only thing snow does, is make you wrap up more, get on that beast and enjoy it, snow is great, makes the "offs" a lot more softer :D

PDRM0029.jpg