Sign in to follow this  

CALI Rider heading to COLO - Imogene Pass Area

Hello. My friend invited me and the fam out to his neck of the woods for the 4th of July. We are apparently going to take Imogene Pass out to Ouray for the annual Fireman's BBQ? I don't know much else about the area. We are camping at Ridgway. Couple of questions? Is my jetting going to be way off for this run? Or can I muddle thru til I get back to the coast? Also, any OHV registration that I need to do to ride in COLO? Any additional info is appreciated especially if you know somewhere that's kid friendly. I got some little ones who like to tear up the place on their QUADS. Thanks again.

You will climb to over 10,000ft on Imogene Pass. Take the kids to Montrose, lot's of open area. My bike is jetted for ~5600ft and I don't have any problems on the passes here.

Eat at Drake's in Ridgway!

Hey PolarIceXR250, I live about an hour from Ouray. I rode that whole area last summer. Here's the deal with registrations stuff. In San Miguel County it is illegal to opperate an OHV on any county roads. Both Immogene Pass Road and Black Bear Road are county roads. I have also seen signs to this affect. Both times I rode Immogene there were quads all over the place. I hear the county Sherriff does nothing to enforce it. Go figure. I have a plate on my bike so I can get away with it. There are some great OHV areas a little north of you. Also look at Silver Jack Reservoir. I hear there is some single track that starts at the Res. I have yet to go there. :)

I think the singletrack you're talking about is the Alpine Trail.

And, Imogene is 13,000 feet +

There were rumours last year that the San Miguel officials were going to start enforcing the no ATV on public roads policy, but I don't remember hearing of anyone who was affected.

Depending on your skill level and range, there's a great loop you can

do for scenery, all jeep roads. From Ouray, go South on 550 to the Engineer Pass turnoff. Take the road up to Animas Forks. From Animas Forks, follow California Gulch over California Pass, over Hurricane and Corkscrew passes back to 550. Turn South again on 550 to just over the top of Red Mountain Pass. Turn right on Black Bear Pass road. Proceed into Telluride and take Imogene back to Camp Bird. At Camp Bird, you can turn left and go (dead end) up to Yankee Boy Basin, or just turn right and ride back to Ouray. If you go to the end of YBB, please be sure to sign the register and state you visited via OHV's! There isn't much better scenery anywhere IMHO.

Merf

That would definately bite if I starting getting harrassed running my YZ over the mountains, I've been doing it since I was 14 (same bike!, kidding.) I got stopped right before Lake City, had to push our bikes to the gas station and restuarant while tourists were zooming their quads all around! I know it's illegal but come on, I am going to put my bike into town, spend money, put out.

This is definately "top of the world" scenery!

I think the singletrack you're talking about is the Alpine Trail.

And, Imogene is 13,000 feet +

There were rumours last year that the San Miguel officials were going to start enforcing the no ATV on public roads policy, but I don't remember hearing of anyone who was affected.

Depending on your skill level and range, there's a great loop you can

do for scenery, all jeep roads. From Ouray, go South on 550 to the Engineer Pass turnoff. Take the road up to Animas Forks. From Animas Forks, follow California Gulch over California Pass, over Hurricane and Corkscrew passes back to 550. Turn South again on 550 to just over the top of Red Mountain Pass. Turn right on Black Bear Pass road. Proceed into Telluride and take Imogene back to Camp Bird. At Camp Bird, you can turn left and go (dead end) up to Yankee Boy Basin, or just turn right and ride back to Ouray. If you go to the end of YBB, please be sure to sign the register and state you visited via OHV's! There isn't much better scenery anywhere IMHO.

Merf

Just to add to the confusion last I heard the San Miguel county commisioners wanted all OHV riders to make reservations with road and bridge to ride black bear. Also Ouray county which owns the portion of county road on the east side of the pass allows OHV's on county roads as long as the rider has a license and insurance on the OHV. There is also a growing amount of 4 wheeler trails around silver jack in addition to the alpine trail stuff. Would'nt surprise me if some restrictions start coming down in the area, it seems to be getting a lot of use lately.

Hey D_F, I take it you have ridden the Alpine Trail. How technical is it? I'm thinking this is a must do for this summer. I have done sections of the Timberline Trail in Taylor Park. Timberline is just screwed up.

I just hate reading these type of posts. They should not be allowed.

Well I have two weeks off in August and can't wait to get out there to ride. And ya I'm from Michigan and it just sucks reading these posts.

Zues, good to see you are still around. They told me your wife took a little spill and busted a radiator at Taylor last year. Hope it didn't ruin your vacation. You guys should come to Taylor again this year. :)

Varget22,

The single track out of Silver Jack Reservoir called the Alpine Trail (TR225) is tough. Tight switch backs, steep and narrow. If you try and take a big four stroke up that trail you be hating life before you're half way up. I rode my 250EXC on that trail 15 years ago and it kicked my butt. It was a workout for sure.

Once you get to the top, go to the other side of High Mesa where the trail drops down into the Little Cimmaron, it is excellent. Keep following the Alpine Trail (TR-225) up the hill into Fire Park and down into the Big Blue Creek drainage and your ride will be epic.

Why do you say the Timberline Trail is screwed up? I'm planning on riding that one this year and now you've got me concerned.

Rokbuster

Varget,

Ditto Rokbuster's post on the alpine trail. I don't think me and the BRP would enjoy that one too much. I helped with some trail work on it a couple of years ago putting 30 or so cinder blocks on each switchback (over 100). Also rode the mountain bike on it. Nope me and the BRP are not going over alpine. Might be fun on your 450 though. Are you still interested in the Dry creek area?

Alpine sounds like Timberline. I like to hit a brutal trail at least once a year. It makes most other trails easier and more fun. Me and the wife are headed to Zion tonight. No bikes, just a get away. Everyone have a good weekend.

Zues, good to see you are still around. They told me your wife took a little spill and busted a radiator at Taylor last year. Hope it didn't ruin your vacation. You guys should come to Taylor again this year. :)

We have the 17 to 28 of Aug off work and trying to decide where to go. And in April we are flying to Vegas and renting a Full dresser for road crusing for a week.