Sign in to follow this  

Breather ?'s

Is it ok to move/relocate the breather box a.k.a where the valve cover, front cover @ bottom of cylinder and vacuum from intake intersect. I would like to remove it completely and just vent the valve cover and plug the front cover and intake. Can this be done? Is there a safe way to do away with it?

Not sure if you wanna do that. Maybe Bronco, Noble, 10guy or Burned will jump in here. I think it'll make a hell of mess. And, it needs to "breath" for a reason. Good luck... :)

Seems like a good point. Right after my lazy butt posted i ran a search and found some good info. But I really need to relocate it. Would extending the lines 10" do any harm? It's a real pita on my quad as it interferes with my fcr carb. The intake line is pinched and rubbing so a hole or crack can't be far behind. It is also giving me fits trying to access the acc pump timing screw.

dandy...I don't see why it couldn't be relocated although I'm not familiar with the routing on a quad. I do think ya wanna have it there somewhere though. good luck... :)

Yea, ya really do need the breather box. You could try relocating it. The hose that goes from the box to the cylinder is gravity oil return. So, the box needs to be somewhere so that hose can drain properly.

I have been runing without a breather box for over a year (over 3000 miles). All you have to buy is a 3/8 plastic "T". I got mine at a ACE Hardware for $.99. The "T" basicly replaces the box. The vent hose that runs from the top of the valve cover to the box, I cut aprox. half way down to the drain at the bottom of the cylinder. I then took the hose that goes between the box and the air box and used it between the cylinder drain and the hose coming from the valve cover. This hose has a 90 degree bend in it. This is where the "T" is installed. I then used the outer sheilding hose that goes from the radiator to the catch tank that is bolted to the air box, to go from the "T" back to the air box. I also eliminated the coolant catch tank. The angle that the hose runs from the valve cover to the cylinder drain promotes the liquid oil to run past the "T" back to the cylinder drain. The oil vapor will be pulled out of the line via the "T" back to the air box. I have not noticed any oil consumption. I now have a bike that is cleaner in appearence, allows more air flow to the shock and pipe in the mid section of the bike, and access to the carb from the right side of the bike is now a pleasure. Oh ... by the way ... I also cut off the box mounting tab for even easier access.

Dave Kessler

sounds good, I just wish I had read this before I got home and ran to the garage with my 3/8's fuel line. I located it to the right rear above the airbox. However it's kinda of a hack job as I had to keep the bottom drain low and it's tight as hell to the rear brake cylinder. Looks like I'll stop by an auto parts store and pick up a T fitting.

Thanks

Hey, what did you do about the coolant catch take? Any Replacement?

kyle

I have been runing without a breather box for over a year (over 3000 miles). All you have to buy is a 3/8 plastic "T". I got mine at a ACE Hardware for $.99. The "T" basicly replaces the box. The vent hose that runs from the top of the valve cover to the box, I cut aprox. half way down to the drain at the bottom of the cylinder. I then took the hose that goes between the box and the air box and used it between the cylinder drain and the hose coming from the valve cover. This hose has a 90 degree bend in it. This is where the "T" is installed. I then used the outer sheilding hose that goes from the radiator to the catch tank that is bolted to the air box, to go from the "T" back to the air box. I also eliminated the coolant catch tank. The angle that the hose runs from the valve cover to the cylinder drain promotes the liquid oil to run past the "T" back to the cylinder drain. The oil vapor will be pulled out of the line via the "T" back to the air box. I have not noticed any oil consumption. I now have a bike that is cleaner in appearence, allows more air flow to the shock and pipe in the mid section of the bike, and access to the carb from the right side of the bike is now a pleasure. Oh ... by the way ... I also cut off the box mounting tab for even easier access.

Dave Kessler

The coolant catch tank is sitting on the shelf in my garage. You know .... now that I think of it ... I have never seen the coolant dripping or smelled it since I have removed the tank. Thought I would mention that in case there are any treehuggers reading.

((I have never seen the coolant dripping or smelled it since I have removed the tank. ))

That's very surprising , I know my bike gets a few ounces of coolant into the over flow bottle every ride , then sucks it back in on cool down. Is your radiator actually kept full?

I don't see how I could get away with out the catch bottle, I'd have to constantly check the coolant.

My 2 stroke mxers never lost coolant, but drz seems to like to expel and retract coolant as a norm.

are you running the 1.6 cap?

You just leave the coolant in the rad a little low same as any system without a catch tank. That leavs room for expansion in the rad tank.