Sign in to follow this  

2 Stroke or 4 Stroke

right now i got a rm85 and im ready to get a big bike. i love my 2 stroke but every1 is switchin to a 4 stroke. can any1 give me advice

Dude, this is "Thumper" talk. What do you think people are going to say?

Get the four stroke!!!! :)

Get a 250 2stroke :) way less maintenance expenses than a thumper (they have to be rebuilt at about the sime time), way less cost than a thumper, less weight, less cost if a horrible engine failure occurs... 2-strokes has better throttle response than four strokes, and are funner to ride. If you like to play around and go really slow, then maybe get a fourstroke, but never one with titanium valves, only get a thumper with steel valves. If you like to ride fast, then stay with a 2-stroke. I only ride My four stroke, because it's faster than almost any 250 2stroke, its easy to ride, and I wasn't allowed to get a CR500 at the time.

why would you never get one with titanium valves.. yamaha makes the most reliable 4 stroke mx bike, and they use titanium valves. i myself am set on a yz250f in about 2 months :)

id say go with the 4 stroke.. "everybodys doing it" lol.. but really you can dominate with them on the track, and they are more trail worthy :)

fourstokes are easy to ride, try one out, and then try a fullsized 2stroke, make your decision after trying both. DON'T get a YZF250, CRF250, or the Kawasaki/Suzuki RM-Z/KX-F250. those bikes have titanium valves which need to be replaced about every 20 hours.

fourstokes are easy to ride, try one out, and then try a fullsized 2stroke, make your decision after trying both. DON'T get a YZF250, CRF250, or the Kawasaki/Suzuki RM-Z/KX-F250. those bikes have titanium valves which need to be replaced about every 20 hours.

You can't be serious, 20 hours?

I'm not saying your wrong because I don't know, but it doesn't make sense that Titanium values would have to be replaced more frequently then other types considering Titanium is a much stronger and more resilent metal then any other used to make valves.

maybe get a modified 125, or a REALLY modified XR250 or DRZ250, Or get a race bike with a "kibblewhite" valve set installed, kibblewhite makes stainless valvetrains for bikes. Titanium is strong and light, but when the hard coating on the outside of it wears off, the valves wear out VERY quickly. Titanium is a relatively soft metal, but is light and strong, and that is why it is used in for valves: to allow higher RPM's with less valve float. They may last around 25 hours, But I know that titanium valves don't last long.

KTM makes awesome bikes, they just have a very small aftermarket compared to honda and yamaha...

i would go with the 4 stroke cause it has less maintnance(sp?) and they are gunna stop makin 2 strokes but i would just get a 4 stroke!!

right now i got a rm85 and im ready to get a big bike. i love my 2 stroke but every1 is switchin to a 4 stroke. can any1 give me advice

as long as the AMA gives a 100% displacement advantage to the 4 strokes in the 125 class, 2 strokes will never be competitive (unless you're james stewart).

many riders transitioning from mini bikes don't have the strength to muscle around a 250F so they take a beating till they're a bit bigger.

if you go with a 4 stroke, the yamaha is the only one that doesn't have a $1500 hand grenade for a motor.

if you go with a 2 stroke, know that they all handle pretty well, but the hondas are under powered

25 hours? :):):p

But seriously, I think it depends on what class you plan on riding, and what you are looking for. I went from an 02 WR 250F to a 04 YZ 125, and think it has made me a much better rider. It definitely teaches you not to be lazy. However, if your looking for a bike that will pull you out of a lot of situations, I think a 4 stroke is the way to go, especially in the 125 class. In the 250 class it is not as big of a separation. If your going 250F, I'd go with the tried and true blue one, but its up to you to ride one and see what you like.

On the maintainence issue, all new 4 strokes require a lot of maintainence, just some more than others. If you are looking for something cheap to work on, get a 2 stroke. Less parts and cheaper to fix if something goes on it.

that's pretty much all of them. which 250F did you have in mind?

2 strokes require rebuilds more often but over all are less maintenance, yet maintenance is relative. to some and xr 250 might be high maintenance while others may thing a crf 250 is low maintenance. You really need to give us your dimensions. A small guy should get a 125 2 t a bigger guy a 250 4t or 2t or a 450 4t. 20 hours on the yzf valves is bs. Might be recommeded but not necessary. It isnt a honda afterall. My buddy has 3000 miles on his wr 250 with only oil changes and the valves are still in spec.

as far as the every 20 hours comment. that is not true, dont be scared away by that. The yz250f doesn't have the "valve problems" that the other 250f's have. As far as size of the bike goes, are you gonna race?, if you are gonna race the 125 2-stroke should immediately be eliminated from your options, it takes a lot more skill and stamina to keep these bikes going fast. 125 class your stuck with a 250f. The honda is supposed to have great suspension, and the rmz/kxf is supposed to have great handeling. Ive got the yz250f and i love the thing and haven't had any problems with it and overall i would say its a great buy. If you were to not race i would look into the ktm 200exc/mxc. They are a great reliable bike with controllable power.

my yamaha titanium valves have taken 1700 mi of beating before reshim and they really didn't need it ,i just wanted to get it out of the way. 3-5k is common and my buddy dan just put over 10k on a set(reshimming 3 times) before replacing. :)

Am i mistaken in thinking you too have a thumper with these oh so faulty titanium valves. Yamaha does not have any where near similar valve problems as the RMZ KXF and of course CRF. I have been surfing these forums for nearly 2 years and have never seen an actual problem surface with the YZ250F concerning valves on even half the scale as these other bikes.