Sign in to follow this  

Proposed new ATV laws...

Restrictive. Very restrictive.

Gotta be 12 to ride anything over 70 cc's?

Gotta be at least 16 to ride a 90 cc bike?

Requires training (can be certified by a club, which could help clubs raise money) helmets and goggles, which is good.

If we want to ride on public land, looks like they are going to make us jump through hoops to do it. Not like yesterday, when you could ride where ever there was not a home.

Restrictive. Very restrictive.

Gotta be 12 to ride anything over 70 cc's?

Gotta be at least 16 to ride a 90 cc bike?

Requires training (can be certified by a club, which could help clubs raise money) helmets and goggles, which is good.

If we want to ride on public land, looks like they are going to make us jump through hoops to do it. Not like yesterday, when you could ride where ever there was not a home.

Agreed, and I see my Senator (Dan Swecker-R, 20th) is on the bill. I will have to drop him an email! :)

This is what happens when Joe public is not capable of acting responsible for them selves and their kids, the government has to step in. Oregon already has something simular. I think its a good idea, maybe now they will start cracking down on the parents of the helmet less grommet racing around the parking lot on dads utility quad.

Just remember, Democrat or Republican they are all politicians. And have to be guided at every turn. I guess thats the PC way to say you cant trust any of them.

They will all make compromises here and there and will not be one sided about anything.

Remember the term cover your ass, They invented it!

I found this while searching for another bill I was told about. The bill I am looking for is even worse, it will restrict riding on private property (bye bye back yard tracks...). Anyone know anything about that one?

This seems to affect quads, not dirtbikes.

"All-terrain vehicle" or "ATV" means a motorized off-highway vehicle designed to travel on three or four low-pressure tires[/Quote]

I guess that the author of this bill isn't keeping up to date on the newest ATVs. Some of the new ones are built to carry both a driver and a passenger. Hey, maybe they are excluded!!!

Ride on

Brewster

This seems to affect quads, not dirtbikes.

If they pass this BS in regards to ATVs and ATCs, you can bet that the next thing in their sights will be bikes!

Look for HB1455/SB5089, which restricts ORV use (ie bikes and quads) used on private property by requiring a 600 ft setback. Very restrictive.

HB5031/HB1029 is the atv safety requirements training bills.

SB5009 will affect all vehicles in the state by setting up rules similar to the CARB rules in California. Most all of us know how restrictive that is the bikes and quads! Washington could restrict use of certain bikes (ie two strokes) to only select riding areas.

Also, contact your elected representatives on a move by Senator Karen Fraser D-22nd District, who is trying to rip off our ORV funds by taking money from the Nova funds to pay back what Thurston County owes the state for closing Thurston County ORV Park!

Look for HB1455/SB5089, which restricts ORV use (ie bikes and quads) used on private property by requiring a 600 ft setback. Very restrictive.

HB5031/HB1029 is the atv safety requirements training bills.

SB5009 will affect all vehicles in the state by setting up rules similar to the CARB rules in California. Most all of us know how restrictive that is the bikes and quads! Washington could restrict use of certain bikes (ie two strokes) to only select riding areas.

Also, contact your elected representatives on a move by Senator Karen Fraser D-22nd District, who is trying to rip off our ORV funds by taking money from the Nova funds to pay back what Thurston County owes the state for closing Thurston County ORV Park!

Hi Lance -

I know that you are dialed into the legislation and I appreciate your input. The NMA has a watchdog looking in on Olympia but I've never seen any canned letters or responses to the issues that I can copy and paste to my local elected officials. I'm not lazy, just not educated enough on the issues to draft a response to my regular email delivery list to Olympia. I do write letters regarding issues I'm more educated on.

Are there other clubs are action groups specific to WA that can create a canned letter that we can all forward? I'm sure a lot of people on the board would forward a letter if they could copy/paste the content.

Thanks,

Matt

The AMA looks to be on the ball with a number of these issues. They have sent letters out to members. Here's some of the contact information which I believe also has suggested wording (expletives deleted) to write about the bills.

www.amadirectlink.com

www.roadriders.org washington road riders association

www.sharetrails.org blue ribbon coalition

you can email ebushlbush@aol.com and request to be added to the Northwest Outdoor Coalition mailing list.

The AMA rep, Nick Haris, can be contacted at nharis@ama-cycle.org.

I've seen a number of good letters people have written on other posts related to this topic. All of them read well and get to the point. I also ask for responses to all emails, or calls returned from staff. It gets people excited.