250X Exhaust Pipes

I was looking for better general performance. The stock pipe seems to work OK. I am new to the dirt world and this entire website is full of people altering their bikes. I wondered if a new pipe would be worth the effort/money. Am not unhappy with the X when I am on forested trails, but it does lack overall power in comparison to a 250 2-stroke, but that is more than made up for with the low idle-speed handling where I don't have to slip the clutch. An easier ride in the woods. I just wanted the bike to perform to the best of it's ability without rebuilding the entire bike cryin' out loud, which hints at 'why not just buy a bike with more cc's'.

I too was disappointed in the X when I brought it home. It is nothing like my 250 2 stroke. But after I did the CCC mods, I was happier and can live with it. Still not as fast, but handles superbly in the woods. And that is why I got it. So... just uncork the thing and see how you like it. It is free and if you don't like it, you can change it back for free also.

personally, i hate the build quality of the fmf pipes. they just look cheap.

i got a pro circuit 496 on mine and love it. it has a deeper exhaust note than the stock pipe without the baffle. i jetted the bike when i got the pipe and it was a night and day difference between that and stock. it pulls harder and generally has more power everywhere. where do u ride in california?

chuckf said it best then.

The performance gains you are going to get from a pipe over the stock X pipe are going to be up high in the RPMs, thats were the gain is.

Nothing will beat the stock pipe for low to mid, too many dynos have proved that.

That said, here is my $.10c worth.

Open the air box and get your jetting set up for the extra air. I personally went with the JD kit as it was a drop in affair and done.

You can get close to what the JD offers.....messing with it, 165 main, the needle from the R...bout all I know on that, JD works.....and havent messed with mine since.

I never changed my cam, you loose your low end, and I wanted all the low end I could get where and how I ride.

Same with the "R" pipe....top end focused.

I never took the screen from my filter.....gains you get aint worth it (again, dyno proven to be way up high and small.....)

Open up the box, get the jetting set and dial in your suspension......then see what you think.

Good luck

HR

?

?

all u guys wanna change everything about this bike ,,,,to get more ponnies,,,I ride with some really fast guys,,,has any one tried a little finnese,skill and heart,,,,I can keep up and even challenge kx 500crf 450s 2 stroke 125,,250s ,,riders of all ages ,,im pushing 40 yrsold,,,my crf250x is spot on awsome with NO mods ,,,,bone stock ,,,pro taper bars and bar clamps,,,skid plate ,,devol radiator guards and rotor guards ,,never touched suspension ,,,I think this bike is awsome ,,,ready for all challengers ,,mike in fesno ca.

This does not apply to the X; however I installed a Q on my R since I needed a spark arrestor where I ride. I am glad that I bought it used on Ebay since I would of been really disappointed paying the "New Price" for one.

In retrospec, I should of looked a little closer at the Pro-Moto Billet S/A option. I did notice some performance reductions, as expected, from the factory R setup to the Q. The positive side is that it is significantly quieter, which goes a long way for the future of the sport.

When I bought my X I rode it twice and uncorked it.

At the end of a day of riding, my right ear would be ringing. Perhaps I have sensitive ears, but I thought the stock uncorked pipe was too loud and piercing.

I bought the Q from TT and installed it. No more ringing ear. It's a little quieter than the uncorked pipe, and a bit deeper. No rasp.

Is it worth the money if you're only looking for power? No, definitely not.

Do you want to match stock uncorked performance while still being relatively quiet? Then this is one of the pipes you should consider.

Overall I'm happy with it, but I do think it's overpriced. It doesn't look especially good, the endcap leaks where it contacts the main body of the pipe, and you have to use hi-temp sealant to seal the joint with the stock head pipe.

I only spent a couple hundred, but if you have the money, get a full PC 496 or something. Really sweet, and I believe you can pull the arrestor for the track.

I have the DR.D on my '04 250R and it is great. It has a deep, throaty sound to it and it only takes about 30 seconds to switch from spark arrestor to non-spark arrestor. I got it for under $400 from www.motofrugals.com . As far as power, it added a definite snap and it now has a very useful sweet spot down low. My friend has a stock '05 250R and we switched back and forth several times on a track to compare. He was impressed enough that he wanted to switch bikes with me for good. He ordered the DR.D pipe the next day.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the info. At 45 years old and new to the 4-stroke scene, I suppose I will stick with the stock pipe for awhile. I ride at Hollister, Clear Creek and Metcalf. When the snow breaks I hope to ride in Kennedy Meadows and areas in the Sierra Nevada. I will never understand using this bike on the track, alhough I am sure it is OK. Seems if I was interested in the track I would have stayed with a 2-stroke or a 450 of some make. Not sure. I thought the X-bikes were built for the woods and trails where going slow is necessary (like with my wfe on here 230). I have ridden mostly in the SoCal desert washes where 2-strokes are just plain fun. Not easy on rocky slopes, but really excel in a sandy wash. Thanks again.

Lewis-