Sign in to follow this  

Does a MX thumper?

produce the as much or more excitment when twisting the throttle as it's two stroke counterpart?

I apologise if this question sounds iggnorant or repulsive, but the reason I ask is because there is simply no way I would ever get to test ride a MX thumper unless I bought one.

I curently ride an RM125 but it's getting old and I want something new, keep in mind that I am only concerned about having FUN, not shaving off lap times or making the ride less easier or less tireing with smooth (Boaring) acceleration and to me "Intense"= fun.

So if anyone understands what I'm trying to ask, Do thumpers like the YZ250/450f crf""" or whatever produce a gut wrenching blast of acceleration more intense then a two stroke or do they feel slower and less intense.

I have the crf450 and trust me, its a rush, it WILL get your adrenaline flowing. Far more power then any 125, and it has more torque than any other 250 2stroke ive riden. It has great throttle response like a 2 stroke, and a lot of top end power. It is definatly the most fun bike iv riden. I say get the 450. :)

Thankyou for responding, That's exactly what I wanted to hear though I suspect an amount of bais towards thumpers here :) .

A few more conformations from others an I am definatly heading to the Honda, maybe Yamaha dealership to pick up a 450f.

Hard question to answer...

The YZ426 was the most impressive motorcycle I have ever ridden, however there is NOTHING like the bark of a well tuned two-stroke.

As far as pure excitement, the two stroke is more exciting...take an RM250 for a spin--razor sharp excitement!

I have not ridden everything, but I have ridden allot, and I have to say IMO the 250 2stroke is the most fun.....I sold mine but if you really want a rush, try a KX500, and hold on tight!!

produce the as much or more excitment when twisting the throttle as it's two stroke counterpart?

I apologise if this question sounds iggnorant or repulsive, but the reason I ask is because there is simply no way I would ever get to test ride a MX thumper unless I bought one.

I curently ride an RM125 but it's getting old and I want something new, keep in mind that I am only concerned about having FUN, not shaving off lap times or making the ride less easier or less tireing with smooth (Boaring) acceleration and to me "Intense"= fun.

So if anyone understands what I'm trying to ask, Do thumpers like the YZ250/450f crf""" or whatever produce a gut wrenching blast of acceleration more intense then a two stroke or do they feel slower and less intense.

I have a WR450F (not quite a YZF but close) and a YZ250. The WR pulls alot harder for more of the RPM, BUT... the YZ250 pulls extremely hard but only after it revs up... it is a totally different experience. I guess the way I explain it to non-riders (not that you are one but this will still make sense) is that the thumper just tugs on you hard and is very powerful, whereas the two stroke is snappy and energetic... I am sure you know what I mean coming from a RM125... anyhow.... you can not go wrong whatsoever with a 450 of any brand. They are monsters and everyone should ride one at some point in thier lifetime. As far as "intensity" goes... well test ride one and you be the judge.

One of the down sides to a thumper is throttle responce isn't as quick at a 2 stroke. There not as snappy either. My buddy has tested just about every new 4 stroke out and has been racing/ porting 2 strokes for many years. I got that info from him.

Yeah, a 4 stroke CAN NOT create the snap of a 2 stroke. Impossible.

BUT, you want a gut wrenching ride - skip all these little 450's and go ride a KTM 525SX. THAT thing WILL have you on your head if you are not careful. You ride it like a two stroke, you'll be spit right off the back.

Those 520/5's are as close as you can get to gut wrenching power out of a 4 stroke.

2 strokes are much more fun to ride, but if you like to pin the throttle, get a bigbore four stroke, and ride it like a 125. A 2stroke will feel snappier and more responsive than any four stroke ever would. If you want a really fun bike, Get a Ported CR500 with revalved suspension, and an aftermarket exhaust. :) Stay with 2strokes!

no bike is boring. where you ride is boring... :) 125s are like blenders..on or off, how is that not fun?

It depends on what your idea of fun is.

If you enjoy shifting and clutching a bike that has 1/3 the powerband and about 5%-10% less power, then a 2-smoke 250 is more fun than a 450.

If fun is a powerband that hits like you are tied to a Corvette with 50 feet of slack line, then a two smoke is the bike for you.

If fun is pulling off the line in third gear and pulling into wheelies in the middle of fifth, then a 450 is more fun.

If you enjoy talking smack about thumpers and spouting a bunch of nonsense about higher maintenance costs (even though you've never owned a 4-stroke), then a two-smoke is the bike for you.

Before I bought my 450, I didn't WANT to like 4 strokes. I was a die hard 2 stroke guy and still think there;s nothing that sounds as good as a two stroke on the gas. But I bought a 450 at a good price, figuring I could get my money back out of it if I didn't like it. That ain't going to happen anytime soon. I can ride faster, longer and with far less effort than I ever could. Not only that, but when you whack the throttle open, stuff happens NOW! I've been riding long enough to remember hard starting, top-heavy tractor-like four strokes and I can say my CRF is none of those. I can't say that there's any downside to modern thumper either. I know some of the guys here act like they're a time bomb just waiting to blow, but I haven't seen that yet and Honda ain't selling a bazillion CRF450's for nothing! Buy one, you won't regret it, I promise! :):)

Buy a 450f, they are so much fun, they will put a grin on your face, the power is all useable. Less shifting, and breaking. :)

My YZ250 is more exciting to me than a CRF450. It prob. has a few less HP, and doesn't accelerate quite as hard, but the snappy throttle response and less linear powerband make it feel faster when you're on the pipe. Of course, a CRF450 is pretty damn exciting too! You prob. wouldn't be bored w/ either a 250 2s or 450 thumper.

i would go with the 450 all the way.. only 250 2 smoke i've ridden though is a 2000 kx 250 and my yz450 is soooo much more fun. it doesnt matter if your at idle just before stall or almost hittin the rev limiter you give the throttle a lil crack anywhere in the rpm range and the front wheel is off the ground. i came off a 1990 kx before i bought my 04 yz450 and the difference was like night and day. that 2 stroke light switch crap was no where to be found. a 450 is just arm stretching power all the time not just in the power band and trust me it is fun.