Need the skinny on riding around Eureka,Ca

I am heading up to the town of Eureka/Arcata wednesday after work going to do some steelhead fishing. But a man can only fish so much before he has to ride... Does anyone live up in that area? Want to ride Thurs, Friday,& Saturday? A trail guide would be great but if you can't make it could you at least tell us where to go.

Can you ride above Ruth Resevoir? Is there open BLM land in the Humbolt County Forest or is it all private farms?... ?

Any info is greatly appreciated,

HH

Up around eureka, i have heard that the riding is limmited. Sierra pacific owns most of the land and they frown on people riding there. Not to say that there aren't any spots, but I think it would take some time and local knowledge to find the good spots. Maybe a local will help you out ?

Around the ruth lake area I am sure you can find something. I know of some stuff up toward Hayfork and Wildwood but that is a bit out of your way. I also know some stuff over near Weaverville but that is about 2 hours from eureka. Pm me if you are interested in the weaverville action or for more info. I grew up in trinity county.

There is some good riding but you'd need a local to show you around. And it's not exactly "legal" either. Anyone live in Eureka that can help the guy out?

There is Samoa Dunes just north of Eureka, but it is VERY small and really isn't worth hauling your bike up there.

I guess I'll have to wing it and hopefully run into someone up there with some bikes. There is the Redwood National Forest on the map just north of Eureka. Does anyone know if it is open to motorcycles?

I will try out the Somoa Dunes just to say I've been there, hopefully the sand will be wet which means good traction. I will see if I can bribe some locals with beer and hopefully get a trail ride in. ?

thanks for the help,

HH

I went to Humboldt State but didn't have my bike with me. I know 1st hand the Samoa dunes are VERY small riding area. You'll be happy for maybe an hour. Worth doing though just to say you've done it and it's scenic. The sand most likely will be wet... We used to cruise a Honda Civic around there!!! Not sure for riding up there though, like I said, didn't have my bike at college with me so I never really looked into it...

Khris

Like Zekedawg said you can drive 2 hours east (Trinity Forest) and get some pretty sweet riding in. There is S. Cow Mtn. in Willits, ? hrs south on the 101. And then plenty of riding in Clear Lake area.

Most National Forests (where i ride mostly) allow motorcycles on unpaved roads. You might just have to start your own trail system.

kiss a loggers ass and you can get some awesome riding. There isn't much in the way of riding up there unless its on timber co. land. And i wouldn't advise doing that,...so I would if i had the time, stay in ukiah and ride middle creek (upper lake) and cow mtn.

I live in Willits and ride Cow,Middle cr. and Lake pillsbury your probly hedded south to go home just stay on 101 to willits will be happy to show you some great riding I'm acully hedded to pillsbury this weekend to waterski and ride the trails are pretty tough "just rite"and the view is awsom so grab your bike and come on down for a good old thrashing!!

So then what ride area is in Willits? Maybe you can access S.Cow from Willits? It would be stupid to drive through Willits south 30 miles to the Clear Lake Area just to drive 30 miles north on a windy road if you could drive 10 miles south from Willits to begin with.

Talk to the boys and girls at Eureka Motorsports, they'll give ya the skinny as far as Humboldt Co. goes.

I'm north of Humboldt, up in Del Norte Co. Here you can get your Steelhead in the Smith River then go ridin' on some GNARLY single track, OHV approved no less.

I just got my DR-Z two weekends ago and would enjoy having someone to go ridin' with.

More details please on this ohv approved riding. Cresent city isn't too far when it is a 100 degrees in the valley. I used to camp at gold beach and found some nice MTB trails. PM me if you want and let me know where this OHV approved riding is.