Sign in to follow this  

Race Tech vs. Factory Connection vs. RG3

Can anyone offer a comparison between the three. As far as I can tell Factory and RG3 restack your OEM shims and swap springs/oil for your weight whereas Race Tech uses their gold valves (and costs more too). I'd like to save money, but I'm more interested in the long haul, meaning I'm not keen on the "Try it and if you don't like it get Race Tech" approach.

I know this is a hot topic, but does anyone have experience with any two of these companies ...they are all reasonably close to me (L.A.). I'm riding an XR400 (so I don't already have pretty fancy USD forks). :)

Thanks.

I have had all 3 companies do my suspension in the past and I have stuck with Factory Connection. RG3 is very close to FC but FC specializes in doing Hondas and know what they are doing. I am very impressed with the changes in my 05 CRF450 from FC. Can't go wrong with any of them as they are all very good.

I have had all 3 companies do my suspension in the past and I have stuck with Factory Connection. RG3 is very close to FC but FC specializes in doing Hondas and know what they are doing. I am very impressed with the changes in my 05 CRF450 from FC. Can't go wrong with any of them as they are all very good.

I agree, RG3 is very good, but FC is the best on Hondas. I've used a few companies, but FC is the only one I'm going back to again and again.

Thanks for the feedback guys. So you really don't think the gold valves are worth the extra $$$ over a properly set up XR400's OEM boingers?

...good news for me, it's a LOT cheaper! :)

Thanks again!

Thanks for the feedback guys. So you really don't think the gold valves are worth the extra $$$ over a properly set up XR400's OEM boingers?

...good news for me, it's a LOT cheaper! :)

Thanks again!

Go with a company that will re-valve using your std valves. It's all in the valving spec, not in the need for "new" valves, gold :) or otherwise.

in fact im sending mine out to factory connecton in about 30 min. my dad talked to the tech guys and they helped us out a lot with what im gettting done.

i would go with factoryconnection

There's no technology really in valves. They are just holes for oil to pass through. Bigger vr.s smaller is about all it boils down to. Gold Valves are only good for people who want to do the work themselves and need the shim charts.

I have gold valves and really like them, they are perfect for the do it yourselfer. but I wouldn't use them if I was just going to have a professional re-valve my stuff. The stock valves are at least as good.

The reason I mentioned that I have an XR400 is that it doesn't have large orifice valves, nor does it have much in the way of adjustability. What I've gathered so far is that unlike with a CRF or something like that, the XR does in fact, get improved results from getting Race Techs "Base Valve Kit". The suspension tech in the XR is circa '70s. lol I'm still researching though. :)

Thanks guys.

You guys are talking through your a$$. The XR comes standard with a poor valve arrangement with limited tunability. It relies on inward bending shims that have no way of discerning adjustment between high and low speed movements. The RaceTech FAGV02 far and away eclipses the performance of the XR base valve and I don't care who is fiddling with it. There certainly are times when you can get by with the stock pistons and there are times when the Gold Valve is simply a better option. If you are unaware of those times perhaps it is better that you reserve comment.

The Duck

Hey

It sounds like your happy with your FC suspension.

Just got mine back for the second time and it still isn't any good.

I would like to know how you conveyed your style and skill level to them

for them to get it right.

I recently rode my buds rg3 and loved it.

Need help

Thanks