Sign in to follow this  

kicking without decomp assy.

Hello,

Contemplating adding a kickstart kit to my S model DRZ, however I am running hotcams. I was told this would pose a problem as the stock cam has the auto-decomp assy and the S head is not machined for the manual decomp assy that comes with the kickstart kit. Now, I'm a fairly stout guy weighing in at 160 lbs and I don't plan to up the compression past that of the E's, so my question is: will this be pointless? Will it be too difficult to kick without the decompression assembly being installed?

I can already tell my battery does not like not having the auto-decomp, as it occasionally stalls the starter motor (which is why I want a backup!). As I said my motor still has the S gasket, but I do plan to upgrade to E compression though no higher.

And as a side question independent to the above - does anyone know of an experienced shop (specific, not just 'a machine shop') or person that could machine an S head so that one could use the manual decomp. assy?

Thank you fine people in advance. :)

Contemplating adding a kickstart kit to my S model DRZ, however I am running hotcams. I was told this would pose a problem as the stock cam has the auto-decomp assy and the S head is not machined for the manual decomp assy that comes with the kickstart kit. Now, I'm a fairly stout guy weighing in at 160 lbs and I don't plan to up the compression past that of the E's, so my question is: will this be pointless? Will it be too difficult to kick without the decompression assembly being installed?----You can still kick start it. You just nudge the lever past TDC same as you would with a compression release. Just takes a little longer to get the motor set to the right place to kick.

I can already tell my battery does not like not having the auto-decomp, as it occasionally stalls the starter motor (which is why I want a backup!). As I said my motor still has the S gasket, but I do plan to upgrade to E compression though no higher. ---- Yes, my motor does the same. When you hit the start button make sure the throttle is not moved. If the throttle is open, even a little, it is much harder to crank. Other than that, have a good battery

And as a side question independent to the above - does anyone know of an experienced shop (specific, not just 'a machine shop') or person that could machine an S head so that one could use the manual decomp. assy?--- Yes, me. But I'm not set up for it and it is not really worth it to set up to do just 1. So I guess the real answer is no.

I think someone here said they had Kientech do one for them...

Jesse at Kientech gave me a price of $150 to machine the head for the decomp parts. With the manual decomp you could also use the E start without stalling the starter motor too. :)

I opted to just buy another motor and build a new creation :) .... But $150 beats a new head unless you need one for some reason anyways.

I have one with a 440 kit in it plus the hotcams and it's a kicker with the high compression. I just put a little more serious boot into it is all. It really isn't that bad of a starter I haven't tried a freezing cold day yet, but it's been good to go since burned tipped me on going back to the basic 4 stroke kicking drill. I've been riding thumpers since the eaely 60's so I know the drill. prairiedawg :)