Sign in to follow this  

rear shock spring for drz400

i need a suggestion on a stiffer rear spring for my 01 drz400 supermoto. would like a little more corner speed and third gear wheelies easier.

Welcome to this forum!! :)

What DRZ do you have and how much you weigh will dictate what spring to use. Go to www.racetech.com and use the right nav for spring rates, I have the DRZ400e rear shock with a race tech 5.7 spring I weigh 215lbc and can loft 3rd gear wheelies no problem!! :)

Please explain to me how to get easier wheelies with a stiffer rear spring.

A softer rear spring would make wheelies easier as your front end would ride higher in relation to the rear, and the rear would compress easier.

As for handling, the stiffer rear would work in that you might be able to keep more weight over the front by eliminating squat somewhat. (Sag being equal)

MW

Please explain to me how to get easier wheelies with a stiffer rear spring. MW

A softer spring absorbs initial jerk for the wheelie, I had the stock 5.4 on my DRZ, and as you said with sag set the same the stock spring made it harder to lift since is was so mushy. :)

I've run 5.6 and 5.7 and perfer the 5.6 when there is dirt, and 5.7 when it's all road. Forks are .48kg and I'm 180 + leathers.