Sign in to follow this  

The most obnoxiouse pipe ever.

I just installed a White Brothers R4 on my bike and it is ridiculously LOUD. I'm not talking kinda loud, I mean it hurts my ears loud. Noise is not a concern on our private property and at hare scrambles but man this thing is loud. I don't know how the bike is going to run but I know that a couple of places I ride at I'm going to go back to stock. I may try to purchase a WR pipe for my quiet rides.

I do think I will like it at hare scrambles and Enduro's as it will probably help move slower riders aside if I can take the noise myself. I will use the pipe responsibly as I know many of you are concerned about noise pollution and how it is aiding the fight to close riding areas.

This thing is LOUD!!

If you do want to sell it, "Do it eBay!". You could probably get about $200 for it new and maybe $100 after you use it for a couple of months.

noise isnt an issue at harescrambles? Man you need to meet FTR's noise nazis, ok really they are FTR's noise paranoids.

Ahhhh somebody will hear you and then we will be regulated like california ahhhhhh which sounds pretty good until you factor in the land owners just dont care. :)

I bought the pipe because it is a USFS spark arrestor and Enduro's require it. I ride Setra and I think SETRA does a couple of Joint Enduro's with FTR. Are they using dB meters to test sound levels? I'm a little suprised they are concerned about noise at a harescramble. If its anything like a SETRA harescramble there are 300 bikes running a 7 mile loop making a LOT of noise. I dont think one bike can be heard above the roar of all the machines.

I like the way the bike sounds but I only fired it up in the garage this afternoon and a lot of the neighbors were out walking dogs, kids, etc and I was to embarrased to run it down the street to see if I could tell a difference in power because it was loud.

I had a Pro Circuit T-4 on my '01, and it was the same way. About 1 minute into the ride my head would start ringing, and it was still ringing 6 hours after the ride.

With my new '05, I'm trying cams instead of a pipe to get my power. It's about $150 cheaper than the cheaper pipes out there, and should give as much of a boost without all the racket.

Maybe I'm just too old, but I've had enough of these ultra-loud pipes. It's just not necessary. None of the pros look slower or less cool since they quieted them down a couple races ago. :)

~Tex

'05 YZF

'04 RMZ w/SS valves (for sale)

They havent actually begun enforcing it. Word has it that next season is the target. Right now they are warning everyone 96db's is the limit that will be allowed.

Personally I find it comical the amount of chanting they do over loud bikes running around in the woods that might possibly be heard by a hermit or maybe a gopher turtle, but could care less how many lowes construction generators are running all night long in the camping area.

It is unbelievable how loud the camping area is at night. You'll see guys set up their generators and park their cars in between their camper and the generator so it doesnt kill them. It's too bad for the poor schmuck on the generator side of their car though.

Actually, I was refering to the Supercrosses. They've started enforcing it there. Tedesco still looks as fast as ever.

You're totally right about the generators.

But, we had a cross-country race taken off of our schedule here in Texas because of the bike noise. It was a shame.. it was a really fun track.

Such is life...

~Tex

I just installed a White Brothers R4 on my bike and it is ridiculously LOUD. I'm not talking kinda loud, I mean it hurts my ears loud. Noise is not a concern ... but man this thing is loud.

This thing is LOUD!!

I told you so. :):)

I tried repacking mine but t was still, how did you put it....LOUD

But at least it will boost power. Noticeably, too.

Thats one of the chants they make on FTR. Loud isnt fast!

sure it is. You just havent bolted one of these puppies on your bike yet. :)

I like the pipe, the power seems better. What I like is that is seems to flow more freely in the mids and upper end. It pulls harder in the middle and on top but the biggest benifit is less engine braking when you have it wound up pretty tight. I cant tell if there is a reduction of power off the bottom until I get in the woods and see how it reacts. I just want to say that I have more fun on this bike than any of my others. This bike is all grins when I ride it. Less work and more fun. Its power is fun, It sticks to the ground like its on velcro and it sounds so Coool. Twist the throttle and flood the senses with instant gradification. The ears get the sweet bark of the pipe, the arms and butt get the strong pull linear pull of the motor, the nose gets the sweet smell of VP 110 I always run and the eyes get to see the terrain rushing by. Why doesnt everyone ride dirt bikes??

not even close to being the most obnoxious. if you ever had the chance to ride a yz400 with an up-tite racing pipe, then you would know about the most obnoxious pipe ever. that pipe was louder than a harley running straight pipes. riding that bike at a track made me feel like moses, it was so loud people would just move over thinking a monster truck was behind them.

There's a company out there called Quiet Products that will help you tame that R4 with a removable endpipe. Ya might look em up...for all the rest of us!

White brothers acually makes a "quiet" insert for the R4. You can get if from www.whitebrothers.com I have an original e-series which is a very similar pipe and yeah i can see where you are coming from the sound is a pretty good BRRAAAAAAAAAAPPPP!! But me likey: it definately makes good power with this pipe.

What is this quiet products that you speak of?

Rode the bike with the pipe yesterday and is pulls goooooood. Little less bottom right at the crack of the throttle but better mid range and top and a lot less engine braking. Did some back to back comparison with a 2004 yzf with a white brothers E exhaust and his bike felt a little weaker everywhere. Could be several variables so no conclusions were drawn accept that he is putting his pipe on E bay and purchasing an R4. Could be the difference between the 04 and 05 motor or one with 100 hours verses one with 25 hrs.

Maybe I'm just too old, but I've had enough of these ultra-loud pipes. It's just not necessary. None of the pros look slower or less cool since they quieted them down a couple races ago. :)

~Tex

'05 YZF

'04 RMZ w/SS valves (for sale)

I agree loud pipes just make it easy for the do gooders to take away our riding areas. If you want more power take your skirt off and twist that damn throttle or get a 450 :)

Your giving me a hard time about noise pollution but are obviously a NASCAR fan and those are some of the loudest races in the world.

I'm a responsible adult and am counciouse of the sound levels. I am keeping my stock pipe and seeking a WR pipe for those stealth rides.

Are you the Motorcycle police.

• Like 1