Sign in to follow this  

Ring placement?

My first time ripping into a four stroke, I would like to know how critical the ring end gap placement of the top two rings is? Also what is the manual refering to when it says molybdenum oil solution?

Ring gap location - not very critical. Follow whatever the book says but the main thing is that the gaps are not all lined up.

Molybdenum oil solution. Molybdenum is a metal used mostly as an alloy additive in steel. Also used to make the tungsten filaments for light bulbs. What you are asking about is molybdenum di sulfide. It is a dry lubricant like graphite. It is sometimes mixed with oil or grease as a high pressure anti-scuff additive. You can buy assembly lube at the auto parts store with molly in it. Mostly used for cam lobes and lifter faces.

molybdenum oil solution?
Yes as noble said its just assembly lube. The manual says mix it with 50% oil. That is what they are refering too. Just use oil or the assem lube and call it good. Just make sure everything is kept really really really clean. No specs of dirt or hairs or anything on those cam lobes and tappet surfaces.

But -- As I understand, the assembly lube should be used on the cam area only and NOT on the piston and rings :)

The manual says to also apply moly oil to the piston pin and on the small end of the con rod. P. 3-59 on the .pdf manual

Yes, I forgot about the rod and pin. Just not on the piston, rings or cyl.