Sign in to follow this  

Steering damper on their 05 WR stock bars?

Does anyone have a steering stabilizer on their 05 WR stock Renthal bars? I'm told by Scotts that I cannot use their product unless I either change the bars (which I hate to do), bend the cross bar, or trash the headlight for a YZ number plate. All those options are not good for me. I am considering the S.U.B. mount that BPR offers, but that jacks my bars up pretty high and I'm only 5'9". What options or solutions have you guys come up with (if any)???

What I did was take off the crossbar and crossbar pad. It is still as strong as some of the cheaper aluminum bars and works well. The only bad part about not having that crossbar and having a very sharp "jewel" there when you get thrown up and foward to hit the "family jewels" with :):):p . Otherwise, the combo works very well and havent bent the 7/8 inch Renthal bars w/o the crossbar and I've had it like that for about three months.

I have had the Scotts on the stock handlebar, well actually the Renthal McGrath bend. That's the same as the '05 stock bend I believe.

Take off the crossbar and very slightly bend it. I just put a 2x4 on each end and light stepped on the crossbar with my foot.

Then you have to take the arm off the Scotts damper and put it on backwards.

Then the Scotts damper mounts backwards with the thin part under the crossbar.

Replace the crossbar, and then cut the pad out on the bottom so that the pad will fit over the Scotts damper. It works good. :)