Sign in to follow this  

crf450r vs the xr650r

I didn't even know they still made those tanks.. :)

They are still around and by the looks of it they don't weigh a whole lot more then the '05 CRF450X!

Dry Weight 277.0 lbs. compared to the weight of the CRF450X at 255 lbs. I would have expected the thing to weigh over 300 lbs.

It might not be a bad bike for wide open desert cruising, but at your height and weight, I would probably go after the CRF250X. Modified the bike will haul a$$, and it is light enough that you can throw it around and not get beat in the process.

John

I'm 5'7" and 135lbs. I ride an '05 crf450r. Although it took a little while to get used to the power, especially coming off of a yz 250, it was the best move I've made so far. That bike is so much fun to ride. Although it's big and a bit of a handfull, with a little patience and some decent throttle control, in no time you'll be ripping it up. Besides as my friends tell me it's total comic relief seeing me flying through the des. or riding the track with my feet flapping off the back of the damn thing :)

I went from a '00 XR650R to a 03 CRF450 and never looked back.

If you are a high speed rider (90mph+) you might like the 650r better, but when it gets slow and technical, that big ass monster will kick your butt!

It all depends on the style of riding you want to do, the pig gets mad when you get her over 3' in the air and reminds you that she weighs over 300#, the 450 is built to jump.

Have you tried to kick start the XR? Better put some lead in your a$$. :o

Kick starting the 650r is a piece of cake. My kids can even start a 650r in tennis shoes!

I didn't even know they still made those tanks.. :)

Yeah, they still make that old outdated xr650r tank that hasn't changed much since it was introduced prior to Y2K, but its still beating the CRF450's in its share of certain off road races and in points and it's still team Honda's number one choice for certain events ;). The 650r is in no way a MX/SX bike, so you'll never see it used seriously in that app unless the rider wants a good beating or is doing endurance training, but it still wins its share of off road races after all these years since the newer tech CRF450 and all of its refinements appeared. I can still the CRF450 crowd from years ago saying the old tank was dead and no longer competitive in any kind of race :p.

Let me guess, some of you are thinking there's no way the ancient over-bloated xr650r pig of a bike could hold a candle to the almighty CRF450 in any kind of race :D

Want proof ? Just look at various off road results since the CRF450 was introduced and you'll often find more 650r's used for 'certain' races than any other bike and often finishing up front...for now :D Go back and check history for points, winners, etc, and you'll see what bike has been leading the way in 'certain' off road races and it sure ain't the CRF450! Look at this last Baja 1000 or at the past SCORE points leaders, etc, or how about as recently as this last Parker 250? Why isn't the CRF450 dominating these races, especially when competing againt this ancient over-bloated pig that some say can't even get out of its own way :D

Here's a link to the Parker 250 earlier this year...

http://www.cyclenews.com/ShowStory.asp?HeadlineID=7030

Here's just a wee bit more info from SCORE...(where are the CRF450's? :D )

2004 SCORE Desert Series

Pro Motorcycle Point Leaders

(With Class, Rider of Record, hometown, vehicle, wins, points)

CLASS 22 (Over 250cc, 11 Total Racers, Wins)

1. Steve Hengeveld, Oak Hills, Calif., Honda XR650R (2), 129

2. Chuck Dempsey, Van Nuys, Calif., Honda XR650R, 113

CLASS 30 (Riders over 30 years old, 15 Total Racers, Wins)

1. Gerardo Rojas, VicenteGuerrero,Mex., Honda XR650(2), 135

2. James Bartnick, Carlsbad, Calif., Honda XR650R, 112

2. Jim O’Neal, Chatsworth, Calif., Honda XR650R, 112

CLASS 40 (Riders over 40, 4 Total Racers, Wins)

1. Jim O’Neal, Chatsworth, Calif., Honda XR650R (2), 126

2. Jim Ferguson, San Francisco, Honda XR650R, 106

CLASS 50 (Riders over 50, 2 Total Racers, Wins)

1. David Flores, Reseda, Calif., Honda XR650R (1), 119

2. Richard Jackson, Acton, Calif., Honda XR650R (1), 70

Keep your eye on the San Felipe F250 this coming weekend and also the Adelanto GP. Last year the old outdated xr650r tank swept the top 3 positions of the SF250 and you might even see a xr650r finish in the top 3 of the Adelanto GP. There's no doubt this bike is dated and will someday be parked by many racers, but that day hasn't happened yet and time will tell just how effective the 450x will be for these same off road events the 650r is currently being used for. Perhaps the CRF600x will be Honda's off road ticket in 2007 :D:)

If I could only have one bike it would be the xr650r. It is a very versitile bike. Fun on the road, off road and it can be fun the mx track as long as you're not doing big air. Best of all is the easy maintenance. The crf 450 is a sweet bike. Try and ride both bikes if you can. I don't think you would be disappointed with either bike.

That's kind of what I was thinking. About 30 of us did a 100 mile loop around the desert valley last weekend, lots of xr 650's, KTM 520's, CR 500's and only 2 450's.

In the canyons and tight stuff, the 450 was a blast and smoked, but as soon as we hit the aquaduct roads and gnarly long ass sand washes it felt like I was on a 125 when the xr's and KTM's flew by. Maintaining speed in those situations on the 450 requires more effort than the big bore machines.

My 05 450 was purchased in October last year. It's an awsome machine, but if doing it over again, I'd spring for a Service Honda ARF 500, or the KTM 520. For strictly off road, the XR's that were on the ride looked pretty cool.

Get all three if you have the cash, you'll be the happiest with that setup.

The 450 is way more than I can manage on a motocross track, so I doubt lap times would be any less on a KTM 520 or ARF 500 (+40 intermediate). I don't see the "X" being any different in that respect. The other 03 450 lost a tranny at the half way point and had to get trucked out, but honestly from looks of the bike I wouldn't be surprised if it was a maintenance issue.

Mike

650rs are still overalling district 37 off road races, which are way closer to a gncc/enduro in terms of technical terrain than a score/bitd race.

I ve got a 2002 XR650L (Much heavier dual sport version) I ride everywhere (work, pub, and mountain expeditions ie camping and Elk hunting) except desert riding. I just bought a 05 CRF450R (comming off my tried and true 1983 Z490). The CRF is a little "Crotch Rocket" for the desert. My 650L may not be a good comparasion to the R but I must say I'm luvin the CRF! (Still like my Monday to Thursday XL)

I currently own both and love them both. The pig is well, heavy in the air, and being as i was doing 50 ft jumps on it, i decided the 450 was probably a good investment. The 650 is FAST mine is geared DOWN to 13/48 and i have got it up to 97 MPH on a 140 series back tire (according to the gps) its uncorked, no tip period when im racing. The 450 is quick, it will hand the 650 its a$$ time and time again to around 70mph, then its all over, the BRP is gone. CRF is also a fuel pig. my crf has a 12:1 piston, misc cam that was put in before i got it, but its not stock, JD jets, akrapovic Ti exhaust - full system. it is really violently quick, and snappy, but not real stable at speed. Id rather go 95mph on the 650 than 75 on the crf. As for the track, no comparison the CRF will work the 650 every time hands down if both riders are close to the same skill level. Guess that was a pretty good rant. Anyways, i would just go for the big bike, not very many times i wanted less power, you just have to respect it. JR

The other 03 450 lost a tranny at the half way point and had to get trucked out, but honestly from looks of the bike I wouldn't be surprised if it was a maintenance issue.

Mike

Got to see the tranny out of that bike, a dog from third gear broke off. Chewed up a few other gears too. I would guess material thickness of the dog at the break point was about .120" or less. The cylinder, for an 03, looked like it was in great condition. The tranny looked so small, I wanted to run home and get the 89 125 6-speed gear set I have in the garage to see if it would fit... :)

Mike

The 650r might not be good if you 5' 6". I'm 6'1" , 16 years old, and its perfect for me. I only weigh 130 pounds and I handle it just fine. I"ll pass all of you crf450 guys on a wheelie!! So unless its slow techical trails the 650r might be bad, but so would the crf450r there. You just can not compare a mx bike to a open-class 650r motorcycle. Decide if you have the balls to catch big air with the crf450r or want to haul ass on a xr650r in the desert.

I would probably go after the CRF250X. Modified the bike will haul a$$, and it is light enough that you can throw it around and not get beat in the process.

John

I own a 2005 450X and an XR400r, and my riding buddy has a 2004 CRF250X, I second the nomination as the CRF-250X as the best all around bike for you. :applause:

Get a 450R if you like to ride track and/or jump. The 650 is a great desert bike...It is like a tank. You will be able to start either one.