Sign in to follow this  

GPS Which one

I'm going to start looking into GPS Which Models should I be looking at?

And what kind of extras should I buy?

I am very happy with my Etrex legend. You will need some kind of mount. Wireing it into the bike is really nice too. You can't beat it for the price. It does more then everything I need. For some reason a gps only lasts about a year for me and then I lose them. One was in my truck when the truck was stolen. I lost one on a fishing trip, and I lost one when I had it in my camel back, but forgot to zip the pocket. They were all about a year old. :) I would be really bummed if I lost a color screen, $400 gps. I still cried a little when I lost the last $100 one. :) But that gave me a reason to update to the legend, and like I said. I'm very happy with it.

I have a Magellan SportTrak Map and love it. It has been virtually indestructable for two years on two different bikes. However, everyone else seems to be using Garmin units. I hope this helps.

Image014.jpg

Personally I like the Garmins quality and customer service and Ram makes pretty decent mounts for them. Never heard anything bad about Magellan though. I have an etrex venture and the GPSmap 76s. The mapping models are the ticket if you like do adventure/dual sport type riding as you can download topo, street or chart basemaps on them if you like to fish. I have yet to find one that works well in thick wet cover but most will lay out a pretty good track you can follow home or download on topo maps with a decent mapping program like Oziexplorer. You can also upload routes, tracks and waypoints if you like to plan out a ride into an area you've never been. It all depends what you want to do with them as there are almost too many different models and options out there now.

check out GPS central and these sites for more info...

http://www.cycoactive.com/default.htm

http://gpsinformation.net/

Im running a Garmin gpsmap 276c where my Speedo us to be

I have topo maps & street directories loaded

It makes it a breeze to navigate through the mountains

Iv hade a Magellan meridian but there internals have problems with vibration

I've had a Legend for several years, and liked it. If I were in the market now, I'd go with the new Legend COLOR! Screen is much more visible, but the size is still compact. Remember that you'll need to budget for mapping software if you want full use of the gps.

Dean

I just got my Etrex Vista C in the mail yesterday. Looked at all the models long and hard before I purchased. I had used the Etrex Vista (non C) before. This model is a little nicer - has color screen and autoroute mapping with turn by turn instructions (beeps to indicate new instructions). The autorouting is nice for highway or city use - makes no difference in the woods. You have to decide how much you want to spend and the options you need and then the choice becomes easy.

This is the table I used: http://www.gpscentral.ca/products/priceguide.htm

It is in Canadian dollars, but it groups the gps in terms of price and list the options.

Just my .02... I've got a Magellan Meridian Color (dirt cheap brand new on E-bay). It works great. The mount that Magellan makes for it works great, too. I've got mine mounted on the bars, right next to the left mirror. Fits perfect. I bought a cheap cigarette lighter outlet at radio shack and ran it to the battery and I'm good to go... No more getting lost!

I have a Magellan Meridian Gold.

16mb base map is larger than others, plus the use of secure digital memory cards for big maps and cheap storage, and they work in my camera too.

I don't really like the Ram mounts myself, too flimsy.

I have the Magellan Meridian Gold as well. I like it because of the extra memory. Garmins have much better screen resolution, but their lack of expandable memory turned me off. I've heard some other say the Magellan stand upbetter to vibration, but I can't substantiate that claim.

I also use a cigarette lighter mounted on thebars. Allows for easy swapping between both bikes and the car. I like the RAM mount, seems pretty good to me, even through a few crashes in the dirt.

I have the Garmin 60CS with Topo maps loaded. Easy to mount & switch between the DRZ and the V-Strom. Screen is easy to see. Only slight problem using buttons when wearing heavy gloves. BTW, mine mounts using the bicycle mount to the x-bar on my stock bars.