Sign in to follow this  

Atk 250

Are these bikes good? I have no idea about them but found one up above for a good price. Are they just as strong as say a KX250 or CR250 for power wise?

Depends on what you want to use it for. I have a 95 ATK 250 LQ. Apparently they were a little mild for MX, but they are great for trail riding. Lighter than a 4 stroke bike, but with the grunt of a thumper. I lug mine in the low rpms all the time- no need to slip the clutch. As quick as my brother's 04 Honda CRF 250 (hee hee), but dirt cheap. I paid $1300 for mine with new tires. Some people are scared off by weird limited make bikes, but not me- I race a Fiat 128 in vintage sportscar racing! :)

Marc in Indy

I sold them for a few years at a dealership in MT. I think the 95 models were the fastest (top-end wise) as the newer bikes ran a smaller carb. I loved the bike-great components, good usable power. A little bit twitchy handling wise in certain situations. Nicky Hayden used to dirt track one and set the fast time at the 1/2 mile on it- passing 600 rotax, and 750 Harleys down the straight. Marlyn Hart built the bike and swears that with little work they can be made way faster than any other 250 two stroke out there. It seems like they are pretty tough motors, too.

Brian

I had a 98 ATK 250 LQ that was just as fast as my 97 CR 250. But the gear ratios are different than an mx bike. I now have a 99 ATK 250 LQ. It doesnt seem quite as strong as my 98 was but I'm working on that. The suspension is a bit more refined on the 99 and I think that makes it handle better. I plan to race it in vet b this season. By the way my 98 ATK was stock , the 97 CR i had had a dynoport pipe.