Sign in to follow this  

xr250 fork

My wife got recently a 2002 xr250. The fork seals are leaking so I got started on changing them...Now, am I blind or retarded or is there no dampening adjustment on this fork??? :) Other things I need to know are the oil level and recomended oil weight. I thought the fork was somewhat soft. Anybody got experience putting in some heavier then honda recomended oil weight?

Any help will be appreciated

You is right.

No rebound.

Standard oil level is 82 mm from top of fork tube.

Stick with the stock 5 wt. fluid and soften the compression so she can use all the travel. If she's a woods rider and under 200 lbs. she won't be able to bottom the front forks even if you go all the way out on the compression, and that is just what I would do.

While your at it set the rear sag to between 85 - 87 mm, soften the compression on the shock the whole way and slow the rebound down.

I had to run out into the garage to take look at it. Didn't even see the compression adjuster before. :)

I was expecting a normal metal screw(I assume this would be normal) clicker. In the xr there is some rubbery :) plate thingy with missing corner on the bottom bottom of the forkinside the hex. Do you just shove a small screwdriver in the missing corner and turn it around??? that rubbery plastic gizmo feels pretty flimsy..

The rubber thingy is a protective cap to keep the screw that is beneath it from looking like hamburger. Pry it out and do your adjustments.

Do you have an owner's manual with the bike? Haven't read mine yet - got a new xr250r last week - I would imagine it has an illustration that will make it all clear.

There are rubber plugs in the bottom of the fork that keep the compression adjuster from getting jammed with dirt, etc. Take a small flat blade screwdriver and pop these out. After they are out - you can use a little bit flatter screwdriver to turn the compression adjuster. (Stick it up in the hole in the bottom of the fork until it fits in the slot).

To get consistent settings - Turn the compression all the way in until you feel resistance. Then back out 14 clicks and you should be in the ballpark.

-jeff